Author Topic: Aviation Tool  (Read 2850 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Aviation Tool
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:40 pm »
My husband father used to fly a small plane as a hobby. He past away in 1972. This was his. What is it? On the back seams to advertise an airplane company. I was curious and tried looking up the company. There is plenty info, but not this. I assume it's like a compass. Maybe 50's? I know nothing about flying a plane and we all should be grateful, ;D.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Aviation Tool
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:22 pm »
i assume this is a medallion...what it depicts..is basically a slide rule for aircraft....measuri ng speed distance...see link... to explanation.....or. ..gobbledygook...as i would call it....

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/computerinstructions.php
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:23 pm »
Well it says that its a time and distance computer !!  So pilots of small aircraft can figure arrival times !!  Most likely given by Pratt & Whitney since that's the same style medallion that the put on the engines they made !! Slightly different style but same medallion !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:04:23 pm »
Thanks Wullie, I've had this for a long time. It sits in a box I have with some small magnifying pieces of his. He was a partner at Consolidated Press. I think it was called type set in those days, this is where he used the magnifiers. They come in small leather pouches. They were made in Germany. I've always liked them. Memories for my husband. My husband and his brother would go with his dad flying. His brother would sleep and he would throw his gusts up, lol. Memories! He was little. I had now real clue what the darn thing was. A little complicated I see. :)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:31 pm »
Thanks mart, I thought it had something to due with location, but it's really more time.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:18:50 pm »
Actually known to pilots as a "T.S.D." computer/calculator .

T= time , S= speed , D= distance .

A manufacturers'  advertising/hand-out-to-pilots-or employees/major aircraft parts/aircraft buyer & just about every sorta avation fan & considered way better than a prize in the cracker jacks box !!

Cool little (& functional!!) medallion greenacres .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:59:41 am »
Being married to a Captain....look up what is known as a E-6B Flight Computer/Calculator!  Also known by some as a circular slide rule, whiz kid, etc... This is a version of one!

They are used most importantly to help determine fuel burn (time/distance in air and on ground)...so you don't run out while up in the air!!

All pilots going through flight schools have to learn how to use them.  But then when you get to the big birds with all the fancy schmancy computerized cockpits...they fall to the bottom of the kit bag! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:48:45 am »
For the past 15 years I,ve been trying to convince Avril,that flying...is the cheapest and safest way, of going on holiday.....and up until last night...i actually thought i,d won her round....then we watched this film......suffice to say.....any future holidays will still mean..taking the car......
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:03:37 am »
Flying is not my favorite, but it wouldn't stop me from my destination. To me it's become like taking a bus. It's not as luxurious anymore. I love this pendant. It's heavy. I guess I could pop it on as a key chain. Wullie I know a lot of people who don't like flying and in today's world with all the crazies I get Avril's fears.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
greenacres, I would hold on to this one for sure.  You don't see many metal ones like this these days.  You usually only see paper or plastic ones.  A real keeper!!!!

Aviation items sell well...but...think twice....it's a family treasure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
I have flown twice !!  First going to Milwaukee,, last,,coming back to DFW from Milwaukee !!  Hated every minute of it !!  Midwest Express was or is a nice small airline (not sure they are still around) but I thought at 30,000 feet how dumb can they be to give me a life preserver and expect me to hit one of those tiny farm ponds from that height !!
Stepson is a helicopter pilot and I am not flying with him either !! If I can`t drive to get there,,,I don`t need to go !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:31 pm »
This is a keeper. :) Just wanted to know what it was. It has to many memories. My husband has family in the mid west that would rather drive to Philadelphia then fly. That lasted as soon as he saw our traffic. You probably more likely to be killed that way. ;D Then they decided that the train was the best way to go.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:05:54 pm »
 I just drive and try not to go far !!  We traveled in a motor home for about 15 years !!  Again,,not far but to just whatever lake or spot that sounded good and the fish were biting !!  That was good and I enjoyed it but we were also younger and hubby was in better health !!  Now,, I had just as soon stay in one spot !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
I understand. No place like home. :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:35 pm »
I remember my first flight on Braniff when I was in college (of course they are in airline heaven now).

With an international pilot in the family I am trying to take advantage of trips every now-n-then the kids are older...but it is just no fun sitting for 8 to 13 hours!  I don't see how he does it...only at his destination for 24 hours then back!

But I still love driving vacations...cause you can stop and go antiquing and 'junking!!!  Kinda hard to do that on a plane! :)  Our favorite family vacations were driving, camping and motor home trips!!