Author Topic: Ivory sculptures...how to value/sell?  (Read 3647 times)

Andy79

• View Profile
Ivory sculptures...how to value/sell?
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:54:28 am »
Hey guys,

My mother has a few ivory (so we believe) statues that we are trying to find out more about. They've come from her mother in Germany. Does anyone have any advise as to whether these are genuine or how we could go about getting a more detailed appraisal and even potentially selling them? We have been on google all night and aren't having any luck... Any help is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:21:16 am by Andy79 »

Andy79

• View Profile
Re: Ivory sculptures...how to value/sell?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:11 am »
This is the largest one. I'm having trouble uploading more than one pic at a time. I will put some more up in a web link shortly
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:04:55 am by Andy79 »

Andy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:07:26 am »
Forgot to mention we are in adelaide, South Australia. This is probably relevant yeah?  ;D

There are more pics here:

http://campl.us/bCbaEmwTrlA
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:31:32 am by Andy79 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:26 am »
Hi,Andy.very nice indeed....but....th ere are some members on  here...who will not be able to view those pics as they only have dial up....and they,d be here all night trying to open these pics...therefore may i suggest,you take the time to transfer them to here...i will try with some of them...good its working.....now Mart  will be able to view....just click on mine to open..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:40:04 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Andy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:45:12 am »
Cheers mate. That's fair enough. It's just that the pics are on my phone and for some reason I'm not having much luck completing a post if I try for any more than one  :-\
I'll have another go tomorrow. Do you have any idea if the large one is worth anything? I'm assuming that selling this kind of thing (assuming they are in fact, ivory)  is only possible if they aren't leaving the country right?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:51:57 am »
hi Andy...i,m getting them to transfer...what country are you in....as for not leaving the country....if these are pre 47..i think it is....then i don,t think there is restrictions...but, i,m sure you,ll need documentation..to prove that they are legal...Rauville..o r the Ip man...will know more...as i,m just a retired wood butcher...and part time practical joker...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:54:23 am »
more pics

Andy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:56:42 am »
Thank you good sir  :)  I'm in Australia

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:57:04 am »
and more..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:02 am »
The attached pics that Wullie posted will not enlarge !! I think there are too many pics and the first image was so large that it is over the file size for this site !! Thanks Wullie for helping !!
But in looking at pic # 8,,it appears that this one and the other that you posted of the bottom are likely not ivory !! Saw marks on bottom !! Wheel cut !!
Appprox when did your mother get them and how did her mother get them ??

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:14:30 am »
The figures look more like resin, the vases with the moriage decoration are mid 20th and of little value at present.

Andy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:10 am »
Oh really? That's disappointing. Thanks for your input guys. I'm not entirely sure if their origins or how long my grandmother had them. I thought the marks on the bottom might've had to do with the grain of the ivory. On the bottom of the candelabra pic, you can sort of see lines on the side of it lining up with the marks on the bottom. I didn't even think of some kind of resin, but had figured they were not some kind of bone or marble. I'm guessing the test you do where you hold a heated pin or similar to the bottom should show this up yeah?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:32:28 am »
The attached pics that Wullie posted will not enlarge !! I think there are too many pics and the first image was so large that it is over the file size for this site !! Thanks Wullie for helping !!
But in looking at pic # 8,,it appears that this one and the other that you posted of the bottom are likely not ivory !! Saw marks on bottom !! Wheel cut !!
Appprox when did your mother get them and how did her mother get them ??
they do for me Mart....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:43 am »
Oh really? That's disappointing. Thanks for your input guys. I'm not entirely sure if their origins or how long my grandmother had them. I thought the marks on the bottom might've had to do with the grain of the ivory. On the bottom of the candelabra pic, you can sort of see lines on the side of it lining up with the marks on the bottom. I didn't even think of some kind of resin, but had figured they were not some kind of bone or marble. I'm guessing the test you do where you hold a heated pin or similar to the bottom should show this up yeah?
yes a hot needle,in the bottom..will determine if they are resin...also the weight of each piece will help...i don,t think they are resin.....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
Mart....I can even get them to open up twice..i.e. one click...then a magnifying glass with + - appears....and i get real close ups....yup..that dial up...is a pain in the arse.....yours..not mine..... ;D