Author Topic: Is all caned furniture antique?  (Read 7257 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Is all caned furniture antique?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
Well KC !!  I think you were right,, it was re-caned  and looks like it was done by someone not very experienced !! I noticed looking at the top that the holes in the pattern were not even but thought it may have been because something heavy had been on it !!  Guess not !!
your cheaters...are,nt up to it..Dear Mart......i.e...pos t number 2.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:11 pm »
 Yes Wullie you did say it looks like it !!  But can`t tell for sure without that bottom pic !!  Wasn`t my cheaters,,,just my memory !!  CRS again !! :D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:58:35 pm »
Whacky wicker .... full of whikileaks ...
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:28:05 pm »
its just amazing what can be done with wicker....like this coracle....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:42 pm »
Looks like that sucker would just spin and spin instead of moving on down the line!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »
lets try this

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 02:54:17 pm »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO, dang, this site is having issues. I tried to post several days ago about cane seated furniture and because of the photo above of a 1830 Canterbury NH tilter Shaker chair, it was noooooooooooooooooo ooooo gooooooooooooooo.

I have forgot now what i tried posted yesterday, lol :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:58:38 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 04:41:29 pm »
LOL !!!  We are also having duplicate issues !!  Some posts we get two instead of one !!  It gets confusing not knowing which to reply to !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. It seems too bad that old quality furniture is passed by at estate sales. Seems people would rather throw away their money on "big box" store stuff that will fall apart in a few years.
what you have to remember is....not everyone wants to live with old furniture....its only as you get older, that you begin to cherish what your parents and grandparents had....

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 01:17:03 am »
not everyone wants to live with old furniture

True. Or, as a decorator recently put it, " I dont care about antiques, i care about interesting things to live with". Antique furniture is not what it was several years ago for many reasons, will it come back into fashion in a big way? sure, but i have no idea when.

If someone doesnt fix whatever problem this site is having with posting photo's, i predict a dim future here as pic's are kinda vital to this forum. It could be the technology has become dated and is getting to be rather antique-ish in internet terms. Why not update the machinery?

Still, i think $25 is about right for your stool, $2 is way to low. Cane seated furniture has been around forever and, is still being made today.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:37:14 am by jacon4 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 05:06:02 am »
have you ever thought it might be...your equipment thats not up to the job,...i had a problem at the start,but then when i found that my camera could be set to take pics that were website friendly,my problem disappeared

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 05:46:53 am »
no, dont think so. First off, i am on a brand new desk top with 50 megs of speed and, the photos i have been trying to post are proven links, not photos i have just shot with a cam and converted to jpg links. Finally, i post on other antique forums, no issues at all with posting jpg links (photo).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:55:37 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:04 am »
We had some pic problems not long ago and they thought it was repaired !!  Maybe not !! Has anyone emailed the site owner or told Talesofthesevenseas the mod. ??  If not,,might be a good thing to do Jacon4 since you can tell them what happened when you tried to post pics !! I haven`t posted anything in a while but never had any more problems than usual considering I am on dial up !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 07:25:43 am »
what happens is, when you click post, the site stalls, which leads to clicking post again which might lead to double posts. since a site like this is so dependent on photo's, if folks are having problems,eventually that will lead to people going somewhere else to post. just saying......

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 08:06:16 am »
"Who is hosting the forum?"
The Simple Machines copyright at the footer of the forum software does not indicate that we are the host - rather it indicates that we are the company that owns copy rights to the forum software, much like Microsoft owns the copyright to the code behind Microsoft Word. If you would like to determine the host, you should look at the WHOIS information for the domain name.

Alrighty then, it's looking to me at the moment that the problem could be with the Host of this site and, according to WHOIS, the host is PowWeb. If you Google review/ratings of PowWeb  as a hosting service the results are pretty bad.