Author Topic: So What is This Iron Thing?  (Read 12221 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: So What is This Iron Thing?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 06:14:53 am »
Wow  cogar!!  This is why I buy all I can from locally grown small farms and freeze for winter months!! I am lucky to have a farm right around the corner from me that raises grass fed beef and we know the farmers very well!  I don't want GMO's or to many chemicals so I don't mind if the buggy's have a little to eat too!!  ;)   My husband thinks I am crazy and would eat pretty much anything but not me!
you and Avril would get on well, Wendy....if she sees a packet that is a minute past its sell by date....its in the bin....and when it comes to eggs..god...phew... .she,s nuts... one day last week, she was doing boiled eggs, i walked into the kitchen, and said, wow, smell those eggs,....she put them in the bin...i said, what did you do that for, she said, you scunnered me when you said that...there was nowt wrong with them...but she thought ,i meant they were off....the same goes if she sees a little mould on a piece of cheese,...bin....mind you i did draw the line with than rhubarb..... ;D.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 06:37:04 am »
She sounds like my kinda girl!!   :D  When I cook something and put the leftovers in Tupperware & in the fridge I write on the outside of the Tupperware  the date cooked and date it needs to go in the trash, with those bath crayons for kids that wash off!! Hubby just rolls his eyes!! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 07:02:42 am »
me an your hubby.we must have come from the same mould.....every Christmas i buy a cured pork Polish sausage ring...its called Wiejska..it come,s ready cooked,and when i buy it its very fresh,..it can be eaten,this way, but i prefer to hang it for a few weeks,i remove it from its vacuum pack  and hang it in the airing cupboard,..after about 3 weeks, its ready,...it will have shrunk to what resembles a ring of jerky,..i slice it very thinly and when its chewed, the juices start to run.....god, i feel like some now....the first pic is the way it comes, the 2nd is how it ends up

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 08:37:24 am »
talking about carrots...a few months ago, one of the smaller supermarkets, in my home town,...their customers, who were mainly of muslim origin..were up in arms,when they found out that, some of the produce was coming from Israel,....we get a lot of tinned salmon from Canada....and kangaroo steaks from OZ....no not that OZ.... ;D..and at Christmas time, we can get reindeer venison from Finland,...and around the corner from our house,there is a German supermarket,Lidl....its a cheap place to shop, and there p[roduce comes from all over, Poland, Germany,France, Italy,Spain,...Mexico, Brazil,....you name it, they get it....4 pints of milk...costs £1...which is reasonable...local strawberries are £1 per lb,...but..for me to buy a decent bottle of Malt whisky....then its an average of £35 a bottle...that bot of Lagavulin, that i got a few years back is over £50 in some shops....breads cheap, 2 x loaves...= £1

Much simpler here,, I had corn, and other veggies,,my vet had pork so now we have pork sausage and he has corn and other stuff !! The good thing is no one ever says anything !!  They just do it !!  That's country for you !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 07:08:15 pm »
I can't grow anything where I live this year due to lack of space but we are lucky to have many small and medium farms in the area where. is season we can buy fresh produce that is not grown for shipping. Strawberries are at their peak right now. There is a fresh egg farm and butchers who make their own Polish and German sausage. They call it Kielbasa but it looks the same. I am actually heading to the store this weekend to grab a ring. We also have a couple Amish markets where the fresh pork is the best. They are a 90 minute drive but worth a day trip.
Our best asset is that the fishing fleet is docked 5 minutes away where you can get whatever they catch. True story: We wanted some fresh squid and there was none available. They radioed the trawler and asked the Captain when he would be in. He said later that afternoon. My wife asked if he had a couple pounds that we could buy. We were told he had 30,000 pounds if we wanted it. When the ship came in the store owner actually went down in the hold and got us two pounds. I cleaned it and cut it into rings and tentacles and flash fried it with a coating of corn starch and flour. Dipped in a spicy marinara sauce it is awesome. Some people actually save the squid ink and make a black sauce for spaghetti. We like to eat seasonally so we can get the best quality foods. Soft shelled crabs are in season now. I am trying to get some big ones at a good price.

Someone Tweeted that Paula Deen has a recipe for Ku Klux Klams. Not my poor taste. I am only repeating.

Fancypants, I guess you were sorry to hear that Devo's drummer just passed away.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:15:35 pm by frogpatch »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 09:24:27 pm »
Mmmm I love soft shell crabs. :)
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 10:10:06 pm »
I'm within walking distance of Puget Sound , so I can get really alive & kickin' crabs here . Drop a ring in & score a few freshies (Red Rock & Dungeness) in about a half hour , on a good day . Some variety of shrimps too , along with the salmon .

There's going to be murder in the kitchen this weekend .

I've been vac-paking my food for quite awhile @ home and find it most effective for keeping whats' what ! I can cook up a mess of stuff & freeze it quik & easy , portions & such for way better than store-bought & helps when unexpected guest need gettin' cooked for too .

bigwull , once upon a time I bought a whole crop of Jaffa oranges (in Israel) & had it picked & packed & transported to Haifa .... by Palestinians ...

but that's enough of true stories ...

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »
fancy that sounds soooooo good.  I just had Salmon kabobs last night!  Skewered salmon and fresh zucchini and then put onion/mushrooms/ on other skewers aaaannnnddd then put broccoli florets, onions and peppers on others.  Getting leftovers tonight!  YAYYYYYYYY~~~

Love crab!  Just can't spend money on this canned stuff anymore to make crab cakes.  Toooo expensive and doesn't have that "fresh" taste.  So, just wait until I go seaside!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 06:29:01 pm »
fancy that sounds soooooo good.  I just had Salmon kabobs last night!  Skewered salmon and fresh zucchini and then put onion/mushrooms/ on other skewers aaaannnnddd then put broccoli florets, onions and peppers on others.  Getting leftovers tonight!  YAYYYYYYYY~~~

Love crab!  Just can't spend money on this canned stuff anymore to make crab cakes.  Toooo expensive and doesn't have that "fresh" taste.  So, just wait until I go seaside!

Salmon kabobs?.. ;D..or maybe kabooms....Oh!I know what you mean....kebabs....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »
:/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 07:14:27 pm »