Author Topic: So What is This Iron Thing?  (Read 12226 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: So What is This Iron Thing?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 03:34:55 pm »
So what's the weather been like for the corn to be unusually good ?

That means we planted early and got rain to germinate the corn,, then after it was about a foot tall, we side dressed with fertilizer and again got the rain to get the fertilizer down to the roots,, then we came back later and laid it by with ammonium nitrate and again got the rain when we needed it !!  Just an unusually good year !!   Its all about the water with corn !!  Probably still 200 ears or more left in the field !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
The only difference is the example you showed had the red paint.

HA, a stiff wire brush and a $2 can of red spray paint and  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Most I have seen that had any paint left were yellow !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 03:46:29 pm »
Ohhhhh  mart if I lived near you I would be pickin till the cows came home!!  ;)  Love my veggies and can never get enough  but there is nothing like home grown!!

Wish you did live here Wendy !! Here you can grow something almost year round !!  We always grow much more than we need !!  Its kind of a swap out here !! This year we made corn but the peas didn`t do anything..Johnny`s peas did well but his corn didn`t !! We swap so everyone has what they need !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »
Aaaaah small town live. Not at all like the big city.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:12 pm »
Yep !!  Small town life isn`t dead yet !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 04:33:09 pm »
i,ll stick to what comes out of the tin....at least i know its beastie free.... :D :
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:43:35 pm »
Mmmm,,, not too sure about that anymore !!  At least I know how mine is grown and who has handled it !! LLike that bunch of cantaloupe a while back that gave people listeria !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:08 pm »
Amen Mart.

If he truly knew what was in the can.  You need to see what you country allowances for vermon, dust, etc in your canned items!  believe it or not, there are allowances for it!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:38 pm »
Oh mart it sounds wonderful and I would take a small towns home grown food to anything from a big corporation way more in their food  than vermon & dust!  lets talk about Castoreum  -   Natural raspberry flavoring and artificial vanilla flavor AKA: Castoreum Is in many main stream products like Raspberry Yoplait, Raspberry juices, Harbio gummy candy, Ben & Jerry's Bohemian Raspberry ice cream. Castoreum is the ooze from the castor sacs of beavers that comes out along with their urine. The FDA has determined it can be listed as natural flavoring! While it is mainly used in both foods and beverages as part of an artificial vanilla flavor, it is less commonly used as a part of a raspberry or strawberry flavoring. The annual industry consumption is very low, around 300 pounds, whereas vanilla is over 2.6 million pounds annually.  Natural sure but no thank you!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:27:47 pm by wendy177 »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 06:06:07 pm »
Such love posted here over a corn sheller. That is why I love this place. You guys are awesome.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
Amen Mart.

If he truly knew what was in the can.  You need to see what you country allowances for vermon, dust, etc in your canned items!  believe it or not, there are allowances for it!!!!!!
yeah..and what about all those pesticides that are used...on all crops....i,ve seen what goes on..both with general farming...and the so called organic...anyway... why should i worry....you die if you worry, you die if you don,t....so,there,s no need to worry....i,ve eaten things in the past that if i,d been told at the start,what it was,i,d never have eaten it in the first place...and i,m still here....my late father used to make his own yogurt....50,s style....no refrigerator....tak e 2 pints of milk...sit on a window ledge,in the sun, leave for a week, until it goes off,...then ....you have home made yogurt...alive and kicking...
when Avril is cooking...she has a favourite saying...which never ceases to bring a smile to my face....i,ll ask...whats for dinner,...she,ll reply..."shite with suger on it"...that,ll do for me.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:32 pm »
Well,,, what little pesticide I use is made from chrysanthemums and is used in organics but I also use commercial fertilizer and what fertilizer my horses supply !! But that's not the point,, do you ever think about who handles your food and how many pieces of machinery are used to get it to you ??  And then they treat most everything to keep it from ripening (tomatoes) and from sprouting (potatoes) !!  By the time you buy it there is no resemblance in taste to what it actually is !!  Believe me I will put my homegrown tomatoes up against anything sitting on store shelves !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:07 am »
The only difference is the example you showed had the red paint.

HA, a stiff wire brush and a $2 can of red spray paint and  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Most I have seen that had any paint left were yellow !!

Maybe because rural homeowners in northern states also favored the red variety, to wit. :D :D

Nah, ...... I think red and green were the dominant colors preferred by the manufacturers of farm machinery with black being 3rd.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 04:52:06 am »
Well,,, what little pesticide I use is made from chrysanthemums and is used in organics but I also use commercial fertilizer and what fertilizer my horses supply !! But that's not the point,, do you ever think about who handles your food and how many pieces of machinery are used to get it to you ??  And then they treat most everything to keep it from ripening (tomatoes) and from sprouting (potatoes) !!  By the time you buy it there is no resemblance in taste to what it actually is !!  Believe me I will put my homegrown tomatoes up against anything sitting on store shelves !!
but the point is...not everyone can...eat homegrown fresh produce....as the cost is so prohibitive...furth ermore..unless you are a veggie,..then, there are many foods,that need to come in some sort of packaging....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:46 am »
whilst we are on the subject of the benefits of home grown....pessticide free organic produce....here is, a pic, of what can happen...with these organically grown produce....we were given a large quantity..of rhubarb...i stewed  some of it...then...i forgot, to put it in the fridge after it had cooled..2 days later,..i took the lid off the pot....and this is what i had...my point is, had this been treated with pessticides, insecticides..or any other agent,that slows the progress of putrification....th en this rhubarb would not have ended up like this so quickly...