Author Topic: So What is This Iron Thing?  (Read 12220 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: So What is This Iron Thing?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 08:04:47 am »
..2 days later, ....... sounds like a case of CRS to me. :D :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:03 pm »
Pesticides and insecticides does not cause mold which is a fungus !!  Different problem there !!  I am with Cogar !!  CRS !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »
Pesticides and insecticides does not cause mold which is a fungus !!  Different problem there !!  I am with Cogar !!  CRS !!!
you,ve grabbed the wrang end of, the stick,...i,never said it was pesticides or insecticides that caused this fungus....more the lack of them....cos,  after finding,this i,went out today  and bought a tin of rhubarb in syrup, and i have emptied the tin into a bowl,and it is not in the fridge,...i,ll post a pic of the bowl and its contents...in two days time....
furthermore...over here,..and no doubt over there...cereal crops, would not be harvestable without,the use of pesticides ..here,s an interesting link....and having read every part of it....i think i,ll stick to the tinned variety....

http://www.pesticide.org/get-the-facts/pesticide-factsheets

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »
No one has a problem with pesticides,, if the growers didn`t use them,, no one would eat but the bugs !!
Lack of pesticides does not cause mold !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 08:28:15 pm »
Geeze wullie , nice & gross pic of improper food handling !

When I think of 'all organic/natural' products , my little mind goes back to an anti-Coors beer commercial , with a deer taking a tinkle in a clear mountain stream .

Along with what others have said about interior contents of canned goods , one ought to consider all the places the OUTSIDES of the cans & bottles have been !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 10:12:45 pm »
So your point is....because you forgot/left it out and it went bad...then pesticides/preservatives are okay?  LOLOLOL  You really are a hoot!!!   

Improper food storage/handling is exactly that.  We have all done it at some time and could kick ourselves for it!  Especially when it was something hard to get and YUMMY!!!!

Makes for a great science experiment!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:09 am »
think i,ll blow up that pic, and get it framed, then stick it on our kitchen wall as a reminder,  ;D.then again,..maybe not...don,t want Avril, puking everytime she she saw it....but i have to admit....i was in awe,at how quickly the mould formed,and how beautiful it was....if you know what i mean...or maybe i should have bottled it, and used it as a natural antibiotic.....but. ..would have gagged at the thought of using it.... :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 04:43:48 am »
Given that I helped start this quabble, maybe I can help put and end to it. Now given Bigwull’s remark of, to wit:

...i forgot, to put it in the fridge after it had cooled..2 days later,..i took the lid off the pot....and this is what i had...

I just responded with a “gotcha”, rather than pointing out a “lapse of memory” on his part. Now being a Biologist, with learned knowledge in Bacteriology, when I first seen the picture of what Bigwull had been growing in his rhubarb pot, I recognized it as most likely being a strain of penicillin mold, to wit: http://kids.britannica.com/elementary/art-87585/Penicillium-mold-is-the-source-of-penicillin

And my experience told me that it is highly improbable, if not impossible, for that quantity of penicillin mold to reproduce itself within a 2-day time frame. Now the Cholera bacteria is a really fast reproducer and within as little as 12 hours after infection you can be in serious trouble.

But the more important aspect of Bigwull’s comment is the fact that it negates one (1) of the “junk science” claims being touted by the believers in/of AGW (anthropogenic global warming).

An that is their “claim” that the bi-yearly increase in atmospheric CO2 during the winter months is directly caused by the rotting and decaying of dead plant biomass in the Northern Hemisphere.

Well now, the Northern Hemisphere winter is just the same as Bigwull’s refrigerator, ….. they both highly retard and/or prevent the rotting and decaying of plant (rhubarb, etc) biomass. And that is because most every species of bacteria, mold, etc are “unionized”  ;D and they don’t work very fast when the temperature falls below 60F, … pretty much quit working at 42F, …. and stop all work at 32F.  And iffen they ain’t workin, …. they ain’t producin CO2.

Anyway, if you are going to continue eating then you have to choose 1 or more of the 3 following, options:

1. Feed the insects and microorganisms first and you eat what’s left.

2. Plant and/or eat GMO (genetically modified) food products.

3. Continue using insecticides and herbicides to insure both a quality and quantity food supply.

And that is simply because:  “We know insect evolution and weed resistances will continue to happen. It's a part of biology."

Cheers .... and have a great day.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 04:51:56 am »
whatever kind of mould it was...maybe i should, get posters made of the pic....with a heading....It pays to ...or show a pic of fresh rhubarb, and then that....with a caption Before/After....always refrigerate... ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 05:14:51 am »
I don't know about the areas where all of you live but one of our huge issues here in NS with crops and food production is the use of biosolids as fertilizer. Just try to contemplate the amount of chemicals ingested by the 'average' person and multiply that by how many?  The gross factor aside (but not far aside) the cocktail of drugs being poured into our fields to grow crops is enough to cause nightmares.  People come into our market and ask where some specific foods come from........if they are told Mexico or China (as depending on the season we may have no other choice) they will immediately walk away from it, wanting only local. Well folks, 'local' may not all it's cracked up to be.   :P

BTW, it's nigh onto impossible to find out which farms and where this delicacy is being spewed into the ground, mainly due to the probable backlash from surrounding homes and communities who's wells and water systems are being contaminated with the leeching.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 05:22:01 am »
in our local supermarket,they are selling huge watermelons..that have come all the way from Mexico....cost for a 2.5kg one....£2..or $3 each...my question..is...what is the poor Mexican grower getting for 1 when i can buy it here for very little,...it makes me wonder....

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 05:26:46 am »
in our local supermarket,they are selling huge watermelons..that have come all the way from Mexico....cost for a 2.5kg one....£2..or $3 each...my question..is...what is the poor Mexican grower getting for 1 when i can buy it here for very little,...it makes me wonder....

Really does make you wonder. The last two winters we were selling carrots........from Israel.  ::)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:23 am »
Supermarket grapes during the winter months come from Peru.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 06:04:47 am »
Wow  cogar!!  This is why I buy all I can from locally grown small farms and freeze for winter months!! I am lucky to have a farm right around the corner from me that raises grass fed beef and we know the farmers very well!  I don't want GMO's or to many chemicals so I don't mind if the buggy's have a little to eat too!!  ;)   My husband thinks I am crazy and would eat pretty much anything but not me!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 06:08:32 am »
talking about carrots...a few months ago, one of the smaller supermarkets, in my home town,...their customers, who were mainly of muslim origin..were up in arms,when they found out that, some of the produce was coming from Israel,....we get a lot of tinned salmon from Canada....and kangaroo steaks from OZ....no not that OZ.... ;D..and at Christmas time, we can get reindeer venison from Finland,...and around the corner from our house,there is a German supermarket,Lidl....its a cheap place to shop, and there p[roduce comes from all over, Poland, Germany,France, Italy,Spain,...Mexico, Brazil,....you name it, they get it....4 pints of milk...costs £1...which is reasonable...local strawberries are £1 per lb,...but..for me to buy a decent bottle of Malt whisky....then its an average of £35 a bottle...that bot of Lagavulin, that i got a few years back is over £50 in some shops....breads cheap, 2 x loaves...= £1