Author Topic: Ice cream parlor chairs?!?! Seeking any additional information  (Read 9920 times)

jkrjlr

• View Profile
I came across these fabulous chairs today (4 of them) They are all in fabulous shape, I have done a bit of research but have not found any definitive answers. I do believe them to be Ice Cream Parlor chairs circa unknown. They are solid metal ? wrought iron with intact leather cushions.  They have a tag and a stamped manufacturer logo on the bottoms of the seat. The tag says Sears with a product #. The manufacturer is Simpson-Bosworth Chicago IL. I am seeking any information pertaining to these chairs such as which era they derive from and possibly what value if any that they hold. Thank you for looking and I am anxious to read replies  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:38:23 pm by jkrjlr »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Ice cream parlor chairs?!?! Seeking any additional information
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »
Can you take a pic of all the written info ??  Your chairs are twisted wire type that were common in the 60`s and 70`s !! I see them fairly often !!  Need to see those Sears tags and Mfr info to check !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum , jkrjlr .

Perhaps , since you're requesting specific info about your cool little chairs , you could post another image of the tag/mod.# for us all to see (& be a bit more informed so as to help ya' ) , or just post the info ?

I wouldn't be hesitant to give them all a good cleaning (& a saddle-soap/murphy's oil soap cleaning of the leather - provided that it is not suede leather) & then decide about the condition they're really in & their appearance .

Also curious to see the bottom of the seat (is it sitting on a 'solid sheet' of steel , or is it screwed on through 4 metal 'tabs' on the chair frame ?) .

Without knowing a bit more , the era could vary , as these little guys were a somewhat popular (on & off) product/design for the Sears Company (& others) !

I'm of the opinion that having & keeping them in their original (even if it's sorta "as-is") condition is a plus , even if not antique (hold on to 'em long enough & they will be !) .

It is kinda common around these parts (PacificNW)to see these refinished , sometimes with powder-coating , & all fancied up for around $250.00 USD for 4 .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:19 am »
The tag says Sears with a product #.

The Sears logo/name can oftentimes be used to date your item.

Logo used from 1966-1984.

jkrjlr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:45:57 am »
Thank you all for your responses. The seat cushion is attached by 4 tabs/screws. I have also attached photo's of the manufacturer stamp and tag/model#. Thank you for your help!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:45 am »
i can see it has cross headed machine screws holding the seat on...which,tells me they are not that old....over here in the UK....these might make.£20 a chair....in this condition....if the metal was bead blasted and powder coated..then...on a good day..maybe...£30/£40...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 05:35:10 am »
Looks like the Sears logo matches the 1966 and later version. So, these look to be 60s, value in mid Missouri would be $25 or so per chair, if in good condition.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:30 am »
Correct !! And If I remember correctly the seats were leatherette !! A simulated leather which is a vinyl type so just a good spray cleaner on those will do !!  About 1968 through the early 80`s those hearts started appearing on many things !! Look through old issues of Country Living magazine from that era !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:20:00 am »
If you find an original Coca Cola table n' chairs the price increases at least 10x to 20x.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »
That's wishful thinking Cogar !!

jkrjlr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 07:39:41 pm »
Thank you everyone you have been extremely helpful! I will have more really neat old items to inquire about as we proceed in cleaning out an old old family estate ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »
We are happy to help !!

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:18 am »
If you find an original Coca Cola table n' chairs the price increases at least 10x to 20x.
I didn't know you can get coca cola tables and chairs ! :o I will have to keep my eyes open

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:08 pm »
I think they made Coca Cola everything. Check out this bike. I think they did a typo on the year. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8907495

cogar

• View Profile