Author Topic: Unsigned pewter figural vase  (Read 4637 times)

Sam

• View Profile
Unsigned pewter figural vase
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a pewter vase that I have in my possession. I did get it valued via a well known site back in 2009, and was told that it was a pewter vase possibly by WMF. It is 14.5" tall complete with it's liner and has an engraving on the base as it was given as a golfing bogey prize in 1898. I was told that the engraving had lost it some of it's value and that it was worth £120-£180. As the vase is so unusual and I like it so much (am not planning on selling it ever!) I have over the years often searched online to see if I could find out anything about it. It had seemed pretty unique, but I have recently discovered that it is just about identical to a couple of pieces online that are by Louis Coustaury. The signature on them is quite prominent, but mine has no signature at all. There is a XVII etched on the bottom and a zigzag mark which could be an MW or WM?  Is it possible that it could be by L.C. or does the lack of a signature totally discount that?  It's such a lovely item that I often study as there is such a story to be read in the figures all around it. I've added a photo, hope it works.
Would really appreciate any comments on it :)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Unsigned pewter figural vase
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:39:44 pm »
That is really unusual. I can't unfortunately tell you anything about it as it is way out of my area. It looks French to me. I like tha way the one cherub is lifting another in a fish net. The fact that it is old and has to do with golf adds value just as a golfing item. It should really be seen by an expert. I believe it could be a very important item if authenticated. How did you acquire it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:41 pm »
Can you please straighten the pic so we can see it upright ??  Also need to see the markings on the bottom with the ones you described !!

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies, the vase belonged to an aunt that passed away. Sorry about the sideways image, that happened in the upload from my iPad, but it is around the right way and much larger if you click on it. I can add a photo of the bottom tomorrow, bit too late for me now in the UK :)

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
Here's the image turned right-side up .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:44 pm »
Thanks Fancypants !! I just can`t make heads or tales of a sideways image !!  Hurts me old neck !!! ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »
Seems quite unusual for a golf trophy !!

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:21:11 am »
Some more images, taken on my iPad, have no idea if they will come out the right way up or not!
I agree it does seem odd as a golf trophy.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:29:02 am »
Ohhhh dear, my images are all skew-if again, sorry. Again they will be larger and the right way round if you click on them. Sorry they're not very highly defined. I can try and get a better picture of the markings on the base later, but you may be able to get the idea anyway. The MW is really just a zigzag squiggle.
Been trying to find out about Louis Coustaury, but all I can find is a date of death at 1897. Would it be usual for a sculpter to leave a piece unsigned?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 03:41:40 am »
Thanks Fancypants !! I just can`t make heads or tales of a sideways image !!  Hurts me old neck !!! ;D
..get yerself a laptop... :D.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:17 am »
we recently had a pewter plate on here...that...turne d out to be very rare...the owner was advised by one of the members to contact a Pewter Society...the Ip man should be on today...he,s the one for this....

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 03:58:51 am »
Thanks bigwull :)
There is currently a similar bronze vase on eBay priced at £22,000!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Coustaury-19C-French-Gilt-Bronze-Vase-Figurine-/160946198178?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item25792416a2

I'm under no illusions that my vase is worth anything like that. I've also seen a similar pewter vase that was worth I think between £1000-£1500. But both had the signature. Although, it's nice to know, the price isn't my main interest as like I said, it's a keeper. I've just never felt that the info I was given via the valuation was correct.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 04:31:48 am »
Hi,Sam...just done some searching and found the Ip mans original post...here,s email ad
enquiries@pewtersociety.org ..they do not charge for advice, let us know how you get on...

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 05:02:21 am »
Firstly - stunning vase but what in the hell was someone doing engraving it for a golf trophy ?!! Those crazy Victorians...
It could have been engraved afterwards and not made as a golf trophy.

Can you not remove that circular base ? Would probably have stood on a socle base that was removed by your aunt or someone so the vase could stand on it's own.

In Fancypants post of the image - on the shoulder of the vase in the centre are some leaves - are they words beneath those or is it just how it appears in the photo ?

I assume you've checked everywhere. I'd expect to see more on the original base though but the sides could be marked, even if just a monogram somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:08:57 am by Ipcress »

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 05:21:16 am »
Lot 1034

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_286.asp?pageREQ=no

It did not sell and had a presale estimate of $1000-1500. I'm not surprised.

A pewter version of a bronze vase also online. This bears the signature and in the auction trade we'd describe it as " after Louis Coustaury " as it's a reproduction or later casting ( not a fake )

Yours is better defined.

Surprisingly little about this person online.