Author Topic: Old Canning Jars and bottles  (Read 13610 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old Canning Jars and bottles
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 08:20:11 pm »
Your pics are all over the size limit for this site !!  That's why you are having problems !! Try resizing them to about 1500KB and see if it is easier posting them !! One of your pics I can`t see at all !! I think it was the Queen !! 
Except for the blue Ball Ideal,, I don`t see anything I would question as a repro just by the pics !! Let me check on the others !!

jkrjlr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:12 pm »
Your pics are all over the size limit for this site !!  That's why you are having problems !! Try resizing them to about 1500KB and see if it is easier posting them !! One of your pics I can`t see at all !! I think it was the Queen !! 
Except for the blue Ball Ideal,, I don`t see anything I would question as a repro just by the pics !! Let me check on the others !!

I thought I had resized :( I am so sorry... What is it about the Blue Ball Ideal that you question?!?!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 09:07:52 pm »
Just that those are the most commonly reproduced !! Would need to look for wear on it !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 09:32:25 pm »
There were many changes throughout the years. I remember it had something to do with the embossing. Some of the really old ball jars had different style lids. I happen to have some really good Ball jars. It's been so long since I have read about them. I'll have to do some reading.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 06:20:09 am »
There were many changes throughout the years. I remember it had something to do with the embossing.

The lids for the jars were the most dramatic of said changes.

Hot paraffin wax was first used to “seal” a jar containing food.

Next came the solid glass lid with a “spring” wire bail on the jar and a rubber “ring” to seal it.

Next came the zinc “screw” lid w/glass insert and a rubber “ring” to seal it.

Next came the 2-part screw lid with a screw “ring” and a disposable flat metal disk w/sealing ring.

And next came a “re-design” of the Miracle Whip salad dressing jars to prevent the aforementioned 2-part screw lid from being used on those MW jars.   
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 07:59:25 am »
I was PO`d when Kraft changed those threads !!  While you can`t can in MW jars except for the older ones,,I did use them for Jelly !!  Can`t even do that now !!

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 04:32:29 pm »
Very nice jars. I recently bought a box of bottles for $10 and there was a Crown Mason jar from 1938 inside..Missing the glass cover though.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »
Your color is called Aqua. It does look clear in the pictures. I can't read the bottom part. They probably are on eBay. Bottles can be all about colors and embossed date and patent info. Also rarity.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:55 pm »
I would think they are real. I found LIGHING, Trademark. Here's the thing this one is medium yellow green, quart, American 1875-1890, $275.-$375. Color! :) Amber $1,400.-$1,800.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 06:06:22 pm »
How big is the "Queen"? A half gal. aqua is $40..

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 06:13:57 pm »
Perfect Seal, adjustable is $25.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »
Are you looking at a price guide or what people are actually paying ??  Some colors do bump the price up !!  Just looked on ebay !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 07:25:41 pm »
Kovel's Price guide. The truth is though if it isn't special they're really not selling, or they sell real cheap. That's why I suggested eBay. I knew they would be on there. Another reason I was stressing colors, age, rarity etc. I'm sure the jars are like $5.99 or something. Ball, Altas, are common. There has to be something special about it. Like embossed patent for example 1853 and it's amber. These are what bring value.

jkrjlr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 08:00:48 pm »
According to what I have read all the jars are post 1915 because they have the seams from being machined :( The queen are pint sized but square clear in color. Trademark lightning registered U.S. Patent office is what is embossed on the front of the jars one quart size which is an aqua color and a pint size which is clear. 4 perfect seal 3 quart size clear and one square quart which is the aqua color so are those going for 25$ a piece?!?!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 08:15:29 pm »
That was Kovels price guide @ $25. !! Best is to look on ebay and see what people are actually paying !!