Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Icon Find  (Read 8611 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Orthodox Icon Find
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »
I put a few words into translate and it comes up Slovak.  But when I enlarge the letter...the handwritten part...I am seeing what I believe could be some cyrillic letters.

"Cyrillic is derived from the Greek uncial script, augmented by ligatures and consonants from the older Glagolitic alphabet and Old Church Slavonic for sounds not found in Greek. It is named in honor of the two Byzantine Greek brothers, Saints Cyril and Methodius, who created the Glagolitic alphabet earlier on. Modern scholars believe that Cyrillic was developed and formalized by early disciples of Cyril and Methodius."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_script

On one of my trips to Russia I brought back a religious piece and it had to be inspected and approved to go out of the country, now has a form and seal. This attests that it isn't a national icon piece (aren't allowed out of country for cultural purposes AND so many that are attempted to be taken out are radioactive). This is also required in many countries.

My seals/form
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:44:43 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 04:16:56 pm »
" definitely not Russian ! "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 04:24:10 pm »
:P  Ipcress..  LOL  I am backtracking a bit....  But some of the letters don't look the same.  However, there are variations of the original Russian alphabet in different countries.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 04:54:32 pm »
Yeah, i know that. Various forms of the same alphabet and Greek and Russian have similar letters. However, most results i got for the stamp were Greek / Cypriot

Shouldn't be long before i hear back about the handwriting.

I can speak French, German, a bit of Spanish, Italian and Czech.

Any further east and i'm guessing  ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
Thanks Ipcress and KC. I am impressed by your knowledge and experience. I can only go by what I know from my wifes heritage, which is they were as Greek as Greek gets. Except for that one grandparent. Picture a Greek family living in Atlantic City and all of them going to the Eastern Orthodox Church every week and getting married there. I am sure that the writing is some form of Greek as you said. I wish I could read it. If you can decipher anything, I would really appreciate it. Thank you again. You guys rock.
 As a dealer of old stuff for decades, something like this makes me realize how little I know. Anyone who thinks differently is too conceited to ever grow in knowledge.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:22:08 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
LOL !!  Can you imagine a Texas drawl and Greek language !!  Laughable !!!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:15 pm »
Teekanis y'all.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 05:47:46 pm »
And what does that word mean ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 07:56:28 pm »
Are you trying to say "How are you?" in Greek with a US accent?   LOLOLOL (Ti kanis)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 08:23:58 pm »
I think he was trying for a Texas accent KC !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 08:57:30 pm »
yass boss, isa comin...or perhaps a peh an a pint wid be better,..there,s nowt better than washin a peh doon wi a pint o, heavy.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 06:06:33 am »
A poor attempt Mart. Yes,Tikanis means how are you in Greek. I speak a few words from my Father in law. Most of them are things to eat. I love Greek food. We get to celebrate two Easters and I usually gain about five pounds that time of year from the Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Here Mart, or anyone else with an inclination towards baking, try making this. It is way too difficult for me. I buy it and bring it home from the Greek festivals. It is to die for when made correctly.
http://greekfood.about.com/od/phyllopastriesbaklava/r/Custard-Phyllo-Pie-Recipe-Galaktoboureko.htm

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 06:17:23 am »
seeing as how you are a great lover of Greek...food....may be you can tell me what this tastes like.....its been in my cupboard for yonks..but its still in code until 2014...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 07:25:00 am »
I have eaten octopus grilled, smoked, marinated in salad and in pasta sauce and it is very firm yet tender and tastes pretty good if you can deal with the suction cups. Not like anything else I have eaten so it is hard to describe the flavor. Canned octopus is usually very tender and often smoked. Musky Octopus describes the species that is caught in the Aegean Sea not the flavor. Did you buy that after a couple pints and then lost your appetite or your nerve the next day? Try it. Be sure you have an ale to chase it with.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:47:03 am »
i got it in a local delicatessan,along with stuffed vine leaves...and Greek Nougat with almonds....and....t he vine leaves were tasty,as was the nougat...i,ll let you know what i think of the octopussy.....tomor row.......if i,m still alive..... ;D