Author Topic: Single Door Cabinet  (Read 7516 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Single Door Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 08:04:26 am »
i would be inclined to agree with you...on not all of it being oak....over here in the UK...it was common for this type of furniture to have a mix of soft woods and hard woods,...the back looks to be.tongue/grooved lining...which will most likely be pine,the inlay....could well be maple or birch...or another.....

Just a side note regarding the description of woods used in English furniture: If you have a chance to look at the recently published book "Woods in British Furniture Making, 1400 - 1900" by Adam Bowett, try to do so.
It's a big book that covers some 500 species, and will definitely become the standard of identification in the future.
One interesting term that is discussed is that of Wainscot. I never gave it a thought that it was anything other than the paneling by the same name. Apparently in England the term was also used for "High quality imported European Oak" prior to 1900.

Clint

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 11:35:59 am »
Thanks all for the comments, information and advice, it is much appreciated!

It's lighter than you think, weighting in at about 8.7kgs!

Might this help with the wood identification debate? ;)

Now on to the 'key' device (see photo). I feel it is just a means in which to open the cabinet, thus has no real relation.

Regards,

Clint

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:06:57 pm by Clint »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 11:36:35 am »
but will this big book fit between the cheeks of ..my arse......that,s what i want to know..... ;D.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:03 am »
at 8.7kg..it,ll be even cheaper to post.....

Clint

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »
but will this big book fit between the cheeks of ..my arse......that,s what i want to know..... ;D.....

Haha!

I've just updated my previous post too!

Regards,

Clint

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »
Take measurements and look on ebay for latch/lock assembly to match and just replace the whole thing !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 01:25:22 am »
there is little enough money in this cabinet as it is..without throwing more money at it....if they were to replace the lock and key...then they,d have to find the large brass escutcheon...that has been on the front.....i,d be ok to do this if they were keeping it.....but..their indication is to sell it....therefore why spend more on it than they are likely to recoup.....its a no brainer.....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 04:19:53 am »
Now on to the 'key' device (see photo). I feel it is just a means in which to open the cabinet, thus has no real relation.

That looks to me like the original key for that lock ..... and given the fact the lock's face-plate on the door is missing .... might explain the bent key.

To be sure, take the lock off the door to see if the other side has a round hole or a key hole.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 07:39:15 am »
this cabinet did not have a key....the "key"..if you want to call it that...was actually...incorpor ated into the handle which would have been part of the face plate....as if you look closely you can see a square hole in the lock,and when the face plate was attached the,stub shaft of the handle would engage with that hole,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 08:07:50 am »
this is what i would envisage being on that door....something like this.on the obverse side,there is a square shaft spindle,that would be cut to length,...then the handle is screwed to the door,and the spindle engages the hole, a half turn of the knob,and the door would open.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Deco-Style-Door-Knob-on-Latch-Lock-Plate-/170870990524?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Door_Accessories_LE&var=470241984710&hash=item27c8b466bc

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 10:05:28 am »
I am revising my earlier summation...I didn't see many bedroom side tables that were keyed with slop pots! (Who would want to unlock to go to the pot?)

My first reaction when I initially saw this was a hall cabinet or deco piece for the formal living.  Going back with that.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 10:36:26 am »
I am revising my earlier summation...I didn't see many bedroom side tables that were keyed with slop pots! (Who would want to unlock to go to the pot?)

My first reaction when I initially saw this was a hall cabinet or deco piece for the formal living.  Going back with that.
over here the "pish" pot was kept under the bed at the side nearest to the user....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 10:41:58 am »
KC,, they put locks on everything back then,, dressers, chests,, why not this too !! Just because a lock was on it didn`t mean it was always engaged !! Even the chamber pot could have been considered valuable !! Would have been to me if in the middle of the night I had to go and,,  Oh No !!  Someone took my pot !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 11:00:56 am »
thats why it was safer under the bed....come to think of it....you,d need one of these....you being a lady and all that... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »
LOLOL  In Texas, it's a bucket...otherwise an outhouse!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!