Author Topic: stool i think  (Read 1626 times)

shakesgirl

• View Profile
stool i think
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:56:19 am »
Does any one know if this is old?  I believe its been repostered (spelling). Has something written on the bottom but I cant make it out, or see any other markings.

mart

• View Profile
Re: stool i think
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:21:05 am »
The word in the middle is "green" !!  Can`t tell about the top numbers !! But its possible they are upholstery instructions !!
The stool is possibly from a bedroom suite, looks like Jacobean Revival,, late 20`s or 30`s !! Sometimes they were repurposed for piano seating too !!

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:50 am »
The word in the middle is "green" !!  Can`t tell about the top numbers !! But its possible they are upholstery instructions !!
The stool is possibly from a bedroom suite, looks like Jacobean Revival,, late 20`s or 30`s !! Sometimes they were repurposed for piano seating too !!
thank  you very much for your input. We had it for about 5 yrs. He sits on it when he takes his work boots off  lol.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:54 am »
When I was growing up we had several like it over the years !! Did double duty as extra seating at family gatherings. Could squeeze two kids on one stool at the card table which was for set up for little ones !!

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:58 am »
When I was growing up we had several like it over the years !! Did double duty as extra seating at family gatherings. Could squeeze two kids on one stool at the card table which was for set up for little ones !!
Wonder if theres a lot in circulation (spelling again  lol) now a days?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:47:34 am »
It is called a vanity seat and like Mart said most likely came with a nicer bedroom suit.  (Not all came with them but for the low dressing tables with lotsa' mirror for the ladies!)

One that would have looked similar to these

People are always looking for these vanities, whether to match with old furniture pieces or to go with built ins in homes.  Doesn't make it high dollar...but will sell if that is your desire.  People held on to them for the same reason you use yours.  A versatile piece that can give extra seating anywhere!

Nice piece. Betting 30's.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:54:24 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

shakesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »
Very interesting. Nice pieces of furniture also.Thanks for the info. I know one thing this stool is mighty sturdy to be so old, little heavy also. GOD bless.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:17:47 pm »
Wonder if theres a lot in circulation (spelling again  lol) now a days?

Yes there were a lot of them made !! Can still find them pretty easily !!  I have one in my bedroom !!  That seat would probably have been recovered several times since it was so easy to do !!