Author Topic: Torchiere Lamp with Grape Pattern Shade  (Read 3458 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Torchiere Lamp with Grape Pattern Shade
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:50:22 am »
Nobody wanted this lamp because they thought it came from a funeral home. It was in my in-laws and home once belonged to a great aunt. It is probably the nicest example of one of these that I have seen. It has a double alabaster base with a night light that was bypassed when a new cord was put on it. I will have to wire that. The shade is white glass with grapes  and leaves sort of gold/copper iridescent highlights. I was hoping Wendy, or anyone, would know who produced the glass. I tried a little to find out but I have such great resources here, why go anywhere else? It looks perfect in the corner of the room so we are keeping it and passing it along. I have to get a mogul to medium base adapter to reduce the wattage from a 100/300 lamp to a compact fluorescent. I apologize for the slight blurriness in the one picture. Not too steady today after yesterdays celebrating. Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Torchiere Lamp with Grape Pattern Shade
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:53:33 am »
nice uplighter...floor lamp....is that marble in the base.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:48 am »
I've always liked those lamps.
My first impression of the shade is that it looks similar to products by: http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/Consolidatedglass.html. ???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:08:17 am »
Not sure about the top portion but the bottom part of the stand is marble I think !! 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:18 am »
I think that the base is alabaster (or onyx) with a night light in it. The light shines though it and there is a separate switch. Marble is opaque I believe.

Rauville,
 It may be by that group. These were made in the 30s I am pretty sure so the era would be right. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:20:27 am by frogpatch »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:19:02 am »
Here is an ad from 1939 calling it a reflector lamp.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 09:54:27 am »
What a beautiful torchiere!  Love the onyx base. Very reminiscent of 30's

Reminds me of the Victorian torchiere lamps in the sitting rooms/parlors.  (Maybe that is why people relate it to funerals - my better half does.  The only time his grandparents formal sitting room was used was for extra special occasions and in the later years, wakes!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:59:50 am »
If the bottom is alabaster chances are the shade is too !! I saw many that were when I looked around !!  I have one in my bedroom that is the Mogul type with faux candle lights below !!  Same heavy glass shade !!  Different base though !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 11:57:34 am »
Frogpatch could you get clearer photos of the shade inside and out  ;)

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:30:57 pm »
Ok from what I can tell from the photos  that are up it is not alabaster, It seems to be what would be called slag glass and this color looks similar to Fenton's Chocolate glass. Slag glass was done by many companies in many many different colors. it was achieved by the way the molten glass is gathered when a piece is being made. To achieve the marbled (slag) appearance, The gatherer did not clean the excess glass from his putty when he gathered molten glass for a new piece.  The difference in temperature of the old glass & the new produces different shades which are spread throughout the piece when the glass is pressed in a mold.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:33:32 pm by wendy177 »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 02:23:40 pm »
Wendy. I am sorry if you are being misled here for some reason. The glass is basically milk glass with an iridescent flashing on it. If I were to remove the color off the surface it would be plain white glass. No slag striations or swirls. The base glass is solid white. The color is all on the surface. Kind of a gold/orange almost like orange Fire King except only as a highlight. Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 02:42:57 pm »
That can still be slag glass Frogpatch !! It just depends on how it is gathered !! Or in the case of a pressed glass color first then white would leave the color on the outside,, plain white inside !!  Look  like paint striations !!  Hand blown can be throughout the piece !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 03:10:14 pm »
Frogpatch;
Is this one similar to your shade? It appears to have been "scrubbed" down to the basic glass color.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/126096909/nice-shape-1930s-vintage-antique-milk

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
Yep. That's it Rauville, with the color scrubbed off. Like I tried to tell everyone it is plain white glass with a fire king like flashing.

Where are the prices on these Etsy posts? I find them all the time and they only have the shipping. Do you need to be logged in?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:48 pm »
They show no prices on sold items and that one sold on June 16, 2013.