Author Topic: unusual cabinet- hoosier- boone- sellers?  (Read 1853 times)

otonoh

• View Profile
unusual cabinet- hoosier- boone- sellers?
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:13:38 am »
Good morning everyone,

I just found this site and love it.  I purchased this  kitchen cabinet yesterday and have never seen another like it
It is solid oak and has a bin in the middle, one metal drawer, siverware draw, 2 cutting boards, one below the flour bin
one under the table top.  Some of the hardware is reproduction so I can't use it as a basis of what brand I have. Any info would be helpfu.
I already looked at the 2 hoosier links for ads and pictures and nothing is close
thanks
David[
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:15:38 am by otonoh »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: unusual cabinet- hoosier- boone- sellers?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 07:47:11 am »
not that i know much about hoosiers....but i,d have to say that this is quite modern.....l have seen similar things on this side of the pond...still for sale in the present day......and they are not cheap.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:11:41 am »
It's going to be hard to pin it down to a certain maker. There were dozens of manufacturers competing with each other, all of them turning out different designed cabinets.
Add that to fact that today's "furniture restorers" will mix and modify parts and pieces to complete a project...you may have to enjoy it for what it is. If it was a automobile, they would probably call it a "resto-mod" today. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:34:41 am »
I have to agree with the others !!  There is little left of the original if indeed it is an older cabinet !!  Can you pull out the bread board and take a pic and a shot on one side of the drawer so we can see the joinery please ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:54 am »
this is a Bitsa....

otonoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »
thank you all for your replies.  By the look of the wood and the mechanism for the sliding top I would say it is old. Here are some close ups
maybe this will help

It is hard to tell but the cutting board is wore down towards the handle, a bowl shaped wear, the boards are quite wide

the flour bin, you pour the flour in top, looks like you scoop it out in the bottom.

this is the bracket that holds up the top, I have never seen this type before.  The table top appears to have been replaced

the side has pieces of oak horizontally, in front of the oak plywood,  This is why I think it is older, newer cheaper cabinets just had plywood

thanks again for the comments

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 12:58:42 pm »
looking at it from the last pic..it does have a 40,s /50,s look....but whoever decided to fit those half cup handles....needs their head looking into....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »
Many did have that type pulls !!  But since these were made all over the country,, finding the maker of this one is darn near impossible !!  On top of that, the style changed a bit over the years !! Mfrs added to and took away what didn`t sell well !!  I would guess yours was made sometime in the late 30`s or early 40`s and was likely top of the line, and quite expensive back then !!

otonoh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 03:41:59 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies,  I will just call it a hoosier.  I haven't seen any with the center bin before, It appears that the right side had a flour bin.  I wonder how the flour didn't get full of bugs.  I am using it to store and display vintage glass so It will work wonderfully for that purpose.