Author Topic: Help with this native american indian(african?) rug/blanket/tapestry  (Read 9440 times)

capn

• View Profile
Hi guys.
I bought this at an auction yesterday just because I loved the imagery. I know absolutely nothing at all about it.
It was labeled as a rug (and was on the floor with everyone at the auction walking on it) but I'm thinking it could have possibly been a tapestry or even a blanket at some time. It has obviously been used as a rug for a long time though. Both sides are the same (one being very dirty from being the "down" side for a while)

My questions are if this was actually made by a tribe and if so, if it's possible to tell which one? I live in central/upstate NY.

Also, what is the approximate date this was made?

And finally, is there an easy way to tell exactly what this is made of? I think it is wool but I am not 100%

Please check out the photos.

The rug measures 7 feet by 3.5 feet.

PS. Is this worth spending the money to get professionally cleaned?

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:39:09 am by capn »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help with this native american indian rug/blanket/tapestry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:25:36 am »
It isn`t native American at least not from the US !!  The animal appears to be a lion !! Color not consistant with the American tribes !! I think this is an import from Africa !!  It does look like wool so dry cleaning would be necessary, the narrow width makes me think tapestry  !!  Does not look like an older piece !!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:34:29 am by mart »

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 10:32:23 am »
It isn`t native American at least not from the US !!  The animal appears to be a lion !! Color not consistant with the American tribes !! I think this is an import from Africa !!

Huh, didn't even think of that.
The imagery had the same simplicity I have seen in other american indian pieces...and I could have sworn the white/black/red color scheme was used by several tribes but I am very new to all of this.

Still curious about my other questions.

Is this a rug, blanket, tapestry? What do you think it's made of based on the pics?

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:26 am »
It isn`t native American at least not from the US !!  The animal appears to be a lion !! Color not consistant with the American tribes !! I think this is an import from Africa !!  It does look like wool so dry cleaning would be necessary, the narrow width makes me think tapestry  !!  Does not look like an older piece !!

About how old?
And I can't just take this to a dry cleaner right? It has to go to an upholstery/rug cleaner I'm assuming

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:51:46 am »
It isn`t native American at least not from the US !!  The animal appears to be a lion !! Color not consistant with the American tribes !! I think this is an import from Africa !!

Huh, didn't even think of that.
The imagery had the same simplicity I have seen in other american indian pieces...and I could have sworn the white/black/red color scheme was used by several tribes but I am very new to all of this.

Still curious about my other questions.

Is this a rug, blanket, tapestry? What do you think it's made of based on the pics?

The colors are fine but its the use of them that  is not what you would associate with the American tribes !! Neither is the imagery correct for American !!  At least I have never seen a lion in America !!  I said above I thought it likely was a tapestry but there are always several uses for one thing !!  It does look like wool !!
I see no reason a dry cleaner couldn`t clean it,, but ask him to check for colorfastness !! Colors could run if not !!  Wool shrinks with water but they can clean a ladies wool skirt without harm,, why not a small tapestry ??

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
Re: Help with this native american indian(african?) rug/blanket/tapestry
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:09:52 am »
I agree with Mart on all counts. Textiles aren't my strong suit when it comes to Native American but I know enough to know this isn't NA.

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:20:37 am »
If it's African do you have any idea of a tribe or region? I know absolutely nothing about that.

Also, would this have been hand-done?

What kind of value would something like this have?
I didn't pay a lot, just curious

thanks guys!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:23 am »
Many are done with small home style looms !! Looks inconsistent enough to say that is a possibility !! Items like this are home industry for the people there and are how they make a living !! Some carve, some weave, ect !!  No high tech jobs for most tribes so they develop their own little cottage industry with handwork !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 12:07:52 pm »
Many are done with small home style looms !! Looks inconsistent enough to say that is a possibility !! Items like this are home industry for the people there and are how they make a living !! Some carve, some weave, ect !!  No high tech jobs for most tribes so they develop their own little cottage industry with handwork !!

Cool.
Anyway to tie this to a particular tribe?

Are these worth much at all?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 12:38:06 pm »
there,s over 2000 different tribes in Africa.....where would you like to start.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:59 pm »
there,s over 2000 different tribes in Africa.....where would you like to start.....

Region?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:43:11 pm »
I doubt it !!  There is really nothing definitive about it !!   Most of this type thing was intended for sale so they geared the design to what sells best as a souvenier from the area !! The lion is one thing that is normally associated with Africa !!  Pictoral elephant would be another !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:48:49 pm »

Region?

how about here...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »
Was just asking.
Didn't know if there was a way to tell. With most art you can narrow down regardless of how many tribes there are.

Does anyone know what kind of value this might have?

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:45 pm »
PS. I know in general wool shouldn't get wet, but I have heard of people soaking them in the bathtub in cold water (some with just water, some with vinegar, etc).

Would this be possible? If so, what's the best way to dry them because I know that if they get wet the water can stay for a long time.

The local carpet cleaners charge $100 a rug and I really don't want to put that much into it