Author Topic: Help with this native american indian(african?) rug/blanket/tapestry  (Read 9444 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Help with this native american indian(african?) rug/blanket/tapestry
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 05:53:39 pm »
A $100 to clean a 7 x 3 wall hanging....over here you could have it done for £10 or $15....my wife works in a laundry...and she washes woollen items all the time....and they come out clean...all the time....they are not dry cleaned ..they are machine washed...she sets the machine to wool...and pops them in...and 30 mins later out they come..all cleaned...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:20 pm »
Not even sure this is wool ,, just looks like it could be !!  I wouldn`t do $100. either !! You can take it to a regular dry cleaners and ask their price,, it does not have to be a carpet cleaner !! They have large machines !! In a pinch some local Laundromats have a dry clean machine for about $10. then air dry. No machine dry !! Just spread it outside and let the sun do the work !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:11 pm »
If there is a loose thread someplace, you could clip a 1/4" length and do a "flame test" to determine if the piece is wool or not.

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »
If there is a loose thread someplace, you could clip a 1/4" length and do a "flame test" to determine if the piece is wool or not.

There are a few threads. None that I can see that long but I might be able to get one out.

So should I not soak the rug?
I honestly don't mind the stains, I just want to get most of the dirt out...ideally on my own.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »
In that case just get a couple of cans of aerosol spray carpet cleaner and a brush, few cleaning rags and get busy !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:50 am »
stick it in the washing machine,...no detergent...cool wash then hang it out to dry....

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 08:50:33 am »
stick it in the washing machine,...no detergent...cool wash then hang it out to dry....

Are you sure that won'y ruin it?

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:53 am »
Do the Aerosol carpet cleaner like I said above since you don`t know for sure !! You can use a little dish detergent, plain, no bleach added, on the tough stains !! When dry just vacuum well both sides !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 09:52:50 am »
Do the Aerosol carpet cleaner like I said above since you don`t know for sure !! You can use a little dish detergent, plain, no bleach added, on the tough stains !! When dry just vacuum well both sides !!

I'm hesitant to use aerosol cleaner because I once used car/carpet cleaner on the seats in my car and it destroyed them

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:41 pm »
I agree with previous comments that it isn't NA.

Are you where you can buy woolite?  Just a weak solution of that spot cleaning the stains could help.

How big is the piece and how heavy?  That will determine if you ever put it in a machine!

Aerosols should be fine as long as you follow the directions and test a small area first always!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 03:14:50 am »
sometimes i think the world has gone nuts......do you have this carry on when you have a piece of clothing that...does,nt tell you how it should be washed....no you don,t...you use your common sense....well the same applies here...if you,re hesitant to machine wash it....then do as the natives did...hand wash it...its not rocket science.....

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:52 am »
sometimes i think the world has gone nuts......do you have this carry on when you have a piece of clothing that...does,nt tell you how it should be washed....no you don,t...you use your common sense....well the same applies here...if you,re hesitant to machine wash it....then do as the natives did...hand wash it...its not rocket science.....

Well it's not native, so if this was made to hang on the wall I don't know if it was made to be washed.
This is completely uncharted territory for me so it might as well be rocket science.

I don't know if wool can be hand washed...I have never had to do it...that's why I have so many questions.

I might just soak it in the tub and hope for the best because I seem to be finding mixed opinions on whether these rugs/tapestries can get wet

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:38 am »
If it was mine, before giving it a bath I'd try some cornstarch. Vacuum it first, then sprinkle cornstarch over it, and leave it for a day. Come back and go over it with a soft brush and then vacuum both sides again. If nothing improves...then you can try getting it wet. :o

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 10:17:19 am »
too many cooks....... ;D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »
Tossing in 2 cents worth ... your item may be machine-made (esp since there appears to be black threads in the vicinity of the animal tail , in the body of the fabric) , since such errors would be corrected by a hand-weaver (IMO) right away & not be left as it is now .
I'd guess that it may be wool or cotton & may or may not have been hand-stitched on its' edges .
Got no guess , as to its' country/region of origin , though .

If it were in my mitts , I think I'd just use a cold water mild solution with some woolite (after it passed the test -the dark-colored areas- for colorfast properties) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "