Author Topic: art Deco what????  (Read 8631 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: art Deco what????
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 10:37:05 am »
FYI  Ph was the abbreviation for Philip!  So...betting the fella's name was William Philip Bohn!!!

And found one in the cemetary search!  In Illinois
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Bohn&GSfn=William&GSmn=Philip&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=46927189&df=all&

In this article Archives of American Art, in the collection, box 7, is a work by William P Bohn (of course doesn't show it).  This is a compilation of American Artists which "including many Chicagoans".
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RSBIRYKT3TMJ:www.aaa.si.edu/collections/c-j-bulliet-papers-5443/more+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

ON Ancestery.com there was only listed one William Philip Bohn,
Birth:    16 Oct 1854
Death:    26 Dec 1929
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

otonoh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 11:45:18 am »
thank you again for the comments and links.  I like the $200 price better than the $20.00   I will keep researching.

David

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:07 pm »
I hate to disagree with Wendy but I checked everywhere,,there are no prices anywhere I could find even remotely close to that figure !! Best price I found was $29.95 and no bids on anything !! Most ran around $10. !! As I told someone else,, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay !! And from what I saw,, no one is willing to pay that kind of a price for an iron rest,,even if its different from the norm. And you can`t call it an art piece since there is no record of another being made !!    As it stands you just have a pretty iron rest but worth only slightly more than another !! One of a kind is even worse since there is nothing to compare the prices to !!   Sorry !!

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »
Most people would not be buying it as an iron rest, if that's what it is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 01:13:37 pm »
Well,, since it has the same foot ridge as many other iron rests of that period, and since I measured my iron and its also 9 inches,, its just slightly wider than mine !! And since its in the shape of the bottom of an iron !!!  What would your idea be ??  The predominance of the evidence would indicate to me that it is an iron rest !!  But I am open to another interpretation !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
Mart it's ok to disagree with me  ;)  but  I agree with Ipcress they would not be buying it as an iron rest, But purely for the art deco design, That's why I think it would go so high. Like this piece a theater seat end cap, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Theater-Seat-End-Heavy-Metal-Wonderful-Paint-Design-/121139290370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3476e102 I have seen these sell much higher.

Look at prices for metal art deco pieces not iron rests you will find much higher prices. Also the detail of the piece also has much to do with pricing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 03:57:05 pm »
That one is nice enough to use for an art piece,, but two days left and no bids !!  Will just have to watch it !!  However I can see $200. for that easier than this one!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »
such a shame there is,nt 2 of the seat ends....although it would,nt take rocket science to cast another from this one....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 05:31:44 pm »
I have to agree with Mart on the value of the iron rest.  Art Deco or not, in our area which is pretty Art Deco nuts, it wouldn't sell for $200 unless it was signed by someone REALLY well known or had belonged to them.

In our neck of the woods (Dallas/Fort Worth) it would go TOPS for $35.  Average price $20 - $25.

I agree, such a shame there isn't a second end on that seat!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:41 pm »
Some of the others did have two !!  Not as pretty though !!  Can get some pretty good buys on Deco items now !!

todson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 01:12:58 pm »
I believe I can identify the artist in question.  His name is William P. Bohn.  He was born 9 Feb 1903 and died 10 Aug 1932.  He was the son of William M. and Edna Bohn.  He married Hilda Anna Enzian on 29 Dec 1928.  According to the 1930 Pittsburgh, PA his occupation was "artist - tombstones".  In a hand-written letter given to me by my grandmother that was wrote by his widow "Married William P. Bohn who died at 29 -after swimming in infected Public Boro Pool - Was brilliant - Masters - 53 medals for running and broad-jump."  I was told more specifically his cause of death was from spinal meningitis that manifested itself from an ear infection that he contracted at a public pool.  Hilda Enzian Bohn was my grandmother's first cousin.  I inherited an art-deco frosted plate, sherbet bowl and goblet set.  I've included some pictures of this set.  Good luck and I hope this helps.  Tod Davis

todson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:37 pm »
My post is not completely clear.  This set was the work of William P. Bohn.  Thanks.  Tod Davis

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 02:57:32 pm »
I am so glad you posted this information !! That set is absolutely stunning !! He did glass and metals ??  Can you give us info on this piece ?? Since I am not familiar with his work please tell us about his working history !! Since there was some difference of opinion here,, we would love to know more !!

todson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:42 pm »
I am pretty sure this is the William P. Bohn mentioned.  I am questioning now if he was the artist that created this set.  Since posting this I've been looking on this type of glass nudes and found that Consolidated Glass produced the Dancing Nymphs or Dancing Nudes.  I stumbled upon Antique-Shop.com site while doing genealogy.  In particular, William P. Bohn.  I know this individual was an artist in the Pittsburgh, PA.  I think the premise of William P. Bohn being the artist of this set is family folklore?  If someone knows something about the set that is pictured, please let me know.   Tod Davis

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 03:31:19 pm »
Wendy is one that might help you,,!!  Is there any family history of his work ??  If its inherited,,its always possible that like the item in this post,,he may have just been the owner !!  We are still not sure about the trivet or whatever it is !!  But its not uncommon to find things that were owned by someone and had their name on it !!