Author Topic: art Deco what????  (Read 8620 times)

otonoh

• View Profile
art Deco what????
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:21:55 pm »
Hello all,  I purchased this 30 years ago at an auction in a small town. I bought it because I loved it but have no idea what it is, I use it as a display.  It is non magnetic, but doesn't appear to be spelter/pot metal.  It is signed but I can't find any info on the artist. Any ideas would be appreciated

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: art Deco what????
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:10 pm »
I don't recognize the artist , but your cool little item is 'Diana/Artemis' (the huntress) - themed .

Almost looks like a sad iron trivet/rest ... could you please post measurements of it , otonoh ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »
That's what I thought Fancypants,, Iron Rest !!

otonoh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:11:52 pm »
thanks for the comments, It never occured to me that it would be for an iron.  the dimensions are 9 inches tall, 8 inches at the widest point.  It seems strange that it would be for an iron because the design would be face down when putting down the iron. plus it doesn't have any ventilation like other antique iron stands or trivets have.   The back does have sides that would hold an iron though.  Wierd. 

David/ aka otonoh
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:16:47 pm by otonoh »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:43:31 pm »
Thanks for the input , otonoh .

I don't think we've nailed it yet , as to the (besides decorative) function of your item .
Could it be part of a 'desk/writing set" , or as something to nest/hold another object ?

Am curious to know if you think it may be cast from pewter , or maybe aluminum ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:21 pm »
The point of a rest for an iron is to keep it from scorching the table or what ever it is put on after ironing !!   And to hold it while turning or changing positions of the garment being ironed !! I think yours is German or from that area and the name is not the artist,,just the owner of the piece at some point !!  I did not find a sculptor by that name or any artist !!

otonoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:41 pm »
thank you any idea on value, I don't want to sell it, just curious

thanks

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:23 pm »
Yepper...these days called an iron trivet, iron rest, or resting plate...but known for years as a sad iron trivet or sad iron rest.

Many were made solid!  Like said above, used to rest hot iron on and protect surface.

Gorgeous piece.  Know why you were attracted to it!!!

Can't say as I have seen one as pretty as this!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:30 pm »
Probably under $20. !! If you look you might find something similar on ebay !! And from what I can see it looks like pot metal/spelter !! May not look like it if treated with stove black !!  Stove black is  a high heat resistant coloring and rust preventative usually used with wood burning stoves !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:02 pm »
I would recommend contacting these people.  They have been collecting/selling certain items for years.  They might can help you!

http://www.antiqbuyer.com/Archive-Ironing.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:53:20 am »
Under $20 ?!

£50-80 easy at auction in the UK.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 06:53:14 am »
Thanks for the input , otonoh .

I don't think we've nailed it yet , as to the (besides decorative) function of your item .
Could it be part of a 'desk/writing set" , or as something to nest/hold another object ?

Am curious to know if you think it may be cast from pewter , or maybe aluminum ?

It's a long shot, but I wonder if there was an artist in the Bohn family from Detroit? They were in the business of working with and casting of metals, including aluminum.

http://theoldmotor.com/?attachment_id=67104

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:28 am »
If so I didn`t find it !!

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 09:12:09 am »
Right

There's an old Christies catalogue on Ebay which apparently has a work by a William P Bohn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310575566103

There was also a William P Bohn studying as a senior at the Carnegie Mellon College Of Fine Arts in 1925. He was from Avalon PA.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 10:13:16 am »
I would also say over $200.00 at auction here! Not because of what it is but the fact that it is a beautiful piece of Art Deco!! Deco sells high and well!  :D  But I would not let it go!!  And I love old Auction house catalogs I have a few from Sotheby's myself!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:19:18 am by wendy177 »