Author Topic: Any German jewelry experts??  (Read 3708 times)

rogue

• View Profile
Any German jewelry experts??
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:37 pm »
I bought a jewelry box at a yard sale for my girl friend when I was 13. This was in it. So 44 years later I ask??? Can anyone identify the maker?? Era?? I figure the twenties. There are supposedly two German jewelers that could make this valuable. Also I was told to have it checked because it was common during the war to smuggle good gems out of the country under the guise of costume jewelry.
 A man tested the center stone and said it wasn't glass and tried to offer $50 to quickly.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any German jewelry experts??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:45:31 pm »
Jewelry made in Germany info to help you out:
https://www.rubylane.com/blog/node/2085

Betting this is post war! Reminds me of the "two tone" jewelry that you would see produced and marked "West Germany"

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:51 am »
gosh i think that's so pretty-who knows what the stones are/or are they rhinestones?  Have you ever worn it/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »
Any good jeweler can tell you what they are !! Looks 40`s or 50`s era !!  If it were 20`s era would only have "Germany" marked on it !!  The "made in" added didn`t become common till mid century !!  Just take it to a jewelry store and ask about it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:42:40 pm »
Mart, betting on 50's.  My mom had a few pieces that were multicolored like this from that time.  Gorgeous.

This type of jewelry is VERY POPULAR!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:34:50 pm »
When jewelry says "Made in Germany" it's either made before 1945 or after 1988. Within that time frame it would have said "West Germany".
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:53:01 am »
When jewelry says "Made in Germany" it's either made before 1945 or after 1988. Within that time frame it would have said "West Germany".

Sorry to have to interfere, but that is incorrect (for two reasons):

(a) if at all, different types of 'Germany' markings (as in: East or West Germany) were used between the founding of the two German states in October 1949 (!) and German reunification in 1990 (based on the fall of the Berlin Wall, 1989). Between 1946 and 1949, items were marked according to their occupation zone (US Zone, Soviet Zone, etc.), often (but not always) with stickers.

(b) as implied, *if at all* ... it is a common misinformation that *all* companies in East and West Germany between 1949 and 1989 marked according to their location. That is incorrect as the use of 'Made in Germany' was still widely used in EAST Germany until 1972, mainly depending on manufacturer and corresponding business status (still private, under state supervision or fully nationalized). Also, the time frames for the various uses of the different marking methods in both West and East Germany (e.g. 'Western Germany' in comparison to 'West Germany', etc., or 'East Germany' in comparison to 'Made in GDR', etc.) were also manufacturer-dependent.

Conclusion: while a 'Made in GDR' mark may indeed date an East German item roughly between 1972 and 1989 and a 'Western Germany' mark may date a West German item roughly between 1949 and 1960, a simple 'Made in Germany' says absolutely nothing about country of origin or a certain period. One always has to know the manufacturer and check records of their personal marking timeline to find out more about a possible date frame.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:30 am »
Hey Chris !!  Good to see you back for a visit !!  Need to stop in more !!!

rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 12:14:41 pm »
I did take it to a jeweler. He put a tester to the stones, turned around and said "i'll give ya fifty bucks right now". Lol I'm not hurting for money! My concern is the center stone appears to be a diamond under a loop. 3 carot yellow diamond smuggled out of Germany during the war?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:38:50 pm »
http://verabattemarco.com/germany/
 This is where I got the info.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 02:40:47 pm »
rogue that's an amazing story! To think someone smuggled a diamond that way.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »
Hey Chris!  Great to see you still hanging around.  Thanks for the information on Germany!

If that is a Canary Diamond in the middle...it would be worth a pretty penny if in good condition.  I can't believe the jewelry couldn't verify if it was in fact a diamond other than make a $50 offer.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »
rogue that's an amazing story! To think someone smuggled a diamond that way.
it happened quite often G,acre...during WW11..my late father gave me a watch a few years before he died...it did,nt look expensive....he had it during the war, it was chrome plated...that was flaking it had an expanding metal bracelet,...after he died it broke down, and i took it to a jeweller shop/watchmaker,..the jeweller looked at it....then asked me where i,d got it....i told him,..he then asked me if i,d like to sell it....I said to him..."but its only an old chrome plated watch"..to which he replied....No its not....its an 18ct gold case, with a 9ct gold bracelet thats been chrome plated......
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 05:52:04 pm »
That's amazing. Why didn't your father ever tell you, Wullie?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:56:50 pm »
i don,t think he knew....he,did tell me that he,d got it in a trade,whilst in the POW camp...in Rimini...in 1945,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,