Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about this little dresser?  (Read 3696 times)

Momma0911

• View Profile
Does anyone know anything about this little dresser?
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:23:02 pm »
My mom bought this little dresser for me in the early 80's (30 years ago). She bought it in Ft. Lauderde, FL at a small antique shop. I have tried looking online but I can't find anything that really matches, the dressers that are closest are called 'doll dressers', meaning baby doll not Barbie dolls.

It's real wood and looks handmade, it has 3 drawers and a small vanity mirror as well. It's 13" high without the mirror and 22 1/2" with the mirror; it's 13" wide with the top lip; and it's 10 1/2" in depth with the lip. There are marks and such on it of course, I was a kid!

So does anyone have any information for me on this piece? I have looked around and called a few antique shops and they have never seen anything like this. Any information would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know anything about this little dresser?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »
It looks to me like it has a laminated top?  A mix mash of woods, compositions.  Not a solid wood piece
In my area could possibly sell for $30.

However, the sentimental value for you is priceless.  Never forget that!

Hopefully someone else will pipe in and see something that I am not seeing.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »
At that size could also be a salesmans sample !!  These are made exactly as a full size is to show perspective buyers what they were getting !!  You can look up salesmans sample furniture !! Usually can find a few on ebay !! 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:37:21 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:27:09 am »
Looks like a late craftsman era set of drawers and mirror with a 70s or 80s replacement laminated top. Value maybe $20.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:26:54 am »
Is the top a laminate like formica ?? Almost looks like that sticky paper they used back in 50`s and 60`s !!

Momma0911

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:39:13 am »
Thank you all for the information and help. The top wasn't actually replaced, it was just covered. If you look under it and on the back you can still see the original wood. I guess someone may have covered it to make it look nicer? I think it is some kind or laminate. I attached a picture of underneath one of the corners. Thank you all.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:56:40 am »
Its not laminate !!I would take that paper off !! It may have been put on to keep little fingers from drawing on it !! I still think its a salesmans sample dresser !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:34 pm »
Yes, take it off and see what is under it!  (If you want, it is yours after all!)  Then take a pic and post it if you do that!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:34 am »
What's holding it on? Will taking it off ruin the wood underneath?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 06:51:02 am »
if the top is,nt a formica based covering..then it may be Fablon....which was a cheap way of covering...wood in the 50,s/60,s....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 07:41:26 am »
I've always called pieces like this, "Play Furniture". My Mother collected similar sized items along with her dolls. She had dressers and chests, sideboards, even a little "Hoosier type" kitchen cupboard about 20" tall.
The one in question here looks like it might be from the 60's with the cardboard back. Seems like I remember Woolworths having them at one time.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wonderful-Vintage-Wood-Childs-Toy-Dresser-With-Mirror-/161060028555?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item257fed008b&nma=true&si=2abvSXfTmFsoY7dIp1jV2IaG3Nw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

Momma0911

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:47:46 am »
Thank you all for the info. I'm not sure whats holding it on, maybe some kind of glue? I tried lifting it up on one of the corners, but it won't budge. I have a feeling if I force it off it might tear up the original wood? I've never done anything like this so not too sure.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 09:16:53 am »
Just pull on the edge !! I am pretty sure its that sticky backed shelf liner !! Should not hurt to take it off unless they attached it with something besides the glue on the back !! I think I have some here !! Let me look and see if it says anything !!  It tells how to put it on but  that's all !! Its called Magic Cover !! Its just a very light adhesive !!  I have used it for shelf liner and I just grab and rip it off !!  I think they still make that fake wood pattern !!

Momma0911

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 09:29:30 am »
Okay thank you. I will try it in a little bit. I'll let you all know if it comes up and post a picture or what it looks like.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 09:55:22 am »
Excellent !!