Author Topic: Brass Lamp Oil Lamp Converted to Electricity  (Read 6428 times)

jbsulliv

• View Profile
Brass Lamp Oil Lamp Converted to Electricity
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:41:46 pm »
I don't really collect antiques. I have been hustling things on and off that I know, like bikes, electronics, and other interests of mine. I haphazardly picked up a few antiques that peaked my interests, and they have ended up being my favorite buys and sells. I am attaching a couple of those photos as well as a couple of photos of a lamp I bought.

I bought it from a teacher at a fundraiser for her school, and I almost passed on it. After I got it home, I wasn't sure how to sell it or where to sell it. It has sat in my house for a month, and I got around to researching it today. I can't seem to find anything exactly like it. From my research, the only pieces I have found similar are french oil lamps from the late 19th century to the 1920s. The similarities are in the bottom portion. They have the inch and a half base, with the column style body. The other similarity I have found is the design on the knob. It looks like a design from a Charles Pigeon lamp. The only issue I have with that is that it does not match exactly to the knobs, and the knob does not appear to be as old as the rest of the body. I also see that it has been converted to electricity. Any information would be helpful. I think I am going to have a hard time convincing my wife to let this one go. She has already said, "you can keep it if you want!" twice.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Lamp Oil Lamp Converted to Electricity
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:29:29 pm »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »
Excellent finds !! Better yet you got everything that goes with them !!  That ups the price considerably !!  Wish I had all the model cars and airplanes I put together as a kid !!  Don't guess there is anything written on the lamp ??  Maybe on bottom ?? Its different !!  What switch mech. did they use ??  All I see from this side is the wick regulator/adjustment !!  Sometimes there is a company name on it !!  Did you look ??  The conversion looks like it may have been done in the 40`s !!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:43:30 pm by mart »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:46 pm »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:49:53 pm »
Here's your "Super Spy Car"  http://www.moviememories.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=634&=SID   It seems to come from the other side of the pond! ;D

jbsulliv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:03:25 pm »
The actual lamp has no writing on it. The wick adjuster just has the star burst design, no writing. The plug says "Eagle Made in USA" on each prong. The switch says Gilbert on one side and "UND LAB INC. LIST 3A.125VT.", "6A.125", "PAT. NO. 2723327", and "3A 250V" on the other side. If I look at where the moving parts were on it when it was an oil lamp, I can see trace amounts of sliver soldering. When I look into the cavity, I see a lot more sliver soldering and surface rust.

Here is a link to the patent http://www.google.com/patents/US2723327. Looks like 50's. I did not think to research the conversion information.

The reasons I suspected it was French were two fold. The ones I saw similar to it on google search were French, and I live a New Orleans, a very French and Spanish influenced city.

The radio was really cool. Not only did it have all the paperwork, it had the original price tag from a local department store, which has been turned into condos http://www.dhholmesapartments.com/, and the original receipt. Might I say the original owner was quite a bargainer. He got it for $8.95, when the sticker was $14.95. It also had the original headphones still wrapped in plastic packaging. I doubt it was ever used.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 03:34:40 am »
I hope there is a fill-cap on the top of the base for filling with kerosene. ??? ???

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 04:04:49 am »
The Aurora DB5, if complete, could be worth $150