Author Topic: Hi Everyone! I'm not sure whether this is a photo or a print. Looking for info  (Read 9790 times)

hemster922

• View Profile
Not having much luck finding information on some of the framed art I've acquired. I like this piece so much I hung it in my bedroom, but I'm still curious.
Any info would be greatly appreciated! It measures 17" x 14.5" [outside frame]
15" x 12" [inside frame] I bought it for $30. The pictures don't do it justice..not very clear, but I can do better ~ Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
as another member will say..need to see the back....is there glass on the front, if yes..then its most likely a print....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

hemster922

• View Profile
Here are pics of the back Bigwull [I forgot to post them]. I took a peek under one of the tears in the paper and it looks like wood of some sort, rough in texture.
The woman I bought it from said it was by a famous photographer, but couldn't remember the name.

Rauville

• View Profile
Maybe email or give the company a call...their phone number is still the same.
http://isabelle.hubweb.net/html/business.html

mart

• View Profile
The paper on the back is just a dust cover and from the phone number that was put on fairly recently !!  I think the area code system was started in the 60`s !!  It looks like a sepia print to me but no real way of knowing without taking the dust cover off and looking at the pic itself !!  Its most likely a print done from a photo !!

hemster922

• View Profile
Edward Steichen is the name behind this piece apparently. I just looked it up and its identical to his "Heavy Roses" photo dated 1914.
Now I know I'm not lucky enough to be holding something so valuable :( the only question I have is whether it was worth what I paid for it..

mart

• View Profile
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4478955

Don`t know how many of these were done but even if later print,,its sure worth checking out !! I would say yes it is worth what you paid and then some !!  The one on the link was a gift from him to the Met. Museum !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Edward Steichen is the name behind this piece apparently. I just looked it up and its identical to his "Heavy Roses" photo dated 1914.
Now I know I'm not lucky enough to be holding something so valuable :( the only question I have is whether it was worth what I paid for it..
maybe lady luck has just tapped you on the shoulder......you just never know.....we,ve got our fingers and tootsies crossed.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
Yes we do !!

hemster922

• View Profile
oh boy I could sure use that lady luck..
So where do I go? What do I do? Sell it? ~ Ebay?
...here I go getting excited again, been there done that, but it's worth a try, no?

mart

• View Profile
Do you have a good Art gallery close to you ??  If so I would take it there first and let them take a look  !! Where are you located ??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Lucky, lucky you! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

hemster922

• View Profile
Mart I'm in Sussex county NJ. No reputable art galleries here but a hop & a skip from me is an Auction house in Sugar Loaf NY.
I had contacted them once before on some furniture.

mart

• View Profile
You are in NJ, the Met isn`t that far !! Try looking online and see if you can find an email address for them !! Since he was curator there they would be the most knowlegable about his work especially since they have some of it !! Send them a couple of good pics !! Or just give them a call tell them what you have,, they may know how many were done !!  The fewer that were produced the better !!  They may be able to help you confirm it !! Make sure what you have before thinking about selling it !!

hemster922

• View Profile
Mart, you're beautiful! You're ALL beautiful!
I won't get my hopes up, but a little excitement never hurts :)
I'll try my darndest, and keep you posted. Thanks so much for the advice!