Author Topic: Lamp ID  (Read 2822 times)

caster

• View Profile
Lamp ID
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:46:05 am »
Hello all,
 I was wondering if anybody knows what type of lamp this is.I cannot read whats on the socket and don't want to take it apart to try and read it.
 Thanks

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Lamp ID
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:51:13 am »
I'd say it's a reproduction of a 19th century oil "gone with the wind" lalmp, probably from the 1970s or 80s, value would be around $20 or $30 at a sale.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

caster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:08:19 am »
I'm not sure.I think its been in the family before that.Any other ideas?

Thanks for the quick reply.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:38:14 am »
I think it is as Ghopper said one of the repro`s from about that era !!  Early 70`s would be my guess !!  Base is white metal rather than brass that flashing around the top is either a heavy grade tin or white metal !!  Was made to look like an oil burner !! Usually used those little light bulbs that look like candles !!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:08:28 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:22:47 am »
Definite reproduction.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

caster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:20:42 pm »
Do you know of any markings I can look for on this lamp?

Thanks for your replies.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 06:34:09 pm »
Lamps are rarely marked by Mfr !! Only exceptions are high end designer lamps !!  Most are just known by style !!  Everyday run of the mill lamps are not normally marked !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 03:03:31 am »
One should probably refer to all lamps in general, except maybe a whale oil lamp, as a "vendor lamp".

And that is because all lamps consists of 1 to 7+ vendor purchased items.

Thus said, 1 person decides to make a lamp and may or may not manufacture 1 part for the lamp himself ...... and then purchases all the other needed parts from different vendors, ...... assembles the lamp, .... then sells it to a distributor or retailer.

If the name of the vendor who assembled the lamp is known, then you can refer to the lamp by that name.

Very, very few of said vendor parts are "signed" .... except the light sockets on electric lamps and the burners on kersoene lamps.

Just like your automobile. Other than what was manufactured "in-house", it was assembled with parts that were purchased from dozens of different vendors.

caster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:48 am »
Thank You so much for everbodys input. With all the googling I have done and pictures I have looked at I did find one similar.It was a queen elizabeth Gone with the wind lamp.The only difference was my base was thicker and it didn't have the little crystals hanging around the bottom of the upper shade.
 I must say I was a little dissapointed as I was told this was a valuable lamp but atleast it didn't cost me anything.

Thanks again,You guys are awesome

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
These lamps have been made since the 40`s and were usually bedroom or boudoir lamps !! May have had a chimney but couldn`t see if yours was open at top !! The on off switch can be button type or key turn type !! Key turn came a bit later than button but again couldn`t see yours !!  Many of the older generation do think these are the more valuable kind simply because of the type !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »
These lamps have been made since the 40`s and were usually bedroom or boudoir lamps !! May have had a chimney but couldn`t see if yours was open at top !! The on off switch can be button type or key turn type !! Key turn came a bit later than button but again couldn`t see yours !!  Many of the older generation do think these are the more valuable kind simply because of the type !!
older generation!!....does that include you and me..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »
No,, just a bit older than we are !!  ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »
No,, just a bit older than we are !!  ;)
;D

btw....watched fried green tomatoes last night....first viewing....thought it was brill....now to find some unripe tomatoes.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 08:02:51 pm »
Have never seen it !!  I am not the movie type !!  Most just don`t hold my attention !!