Author Topic: book press  (Read 971 times)

esimuda

• View Profile
book press
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:12:44 am »
I have a book press that is linked to manufacturers Draper, Son and Deakin. In a London Gazette March 2, 1883 announcement messrs. Draper, Draper and Deaking of 5 Little Tower St, London, give notice that their partnership has been dissolved by mutual consent per 31 December 1882. So far so good. On my book press however, 'Draper Son and Deakin are mentioned as manufacturers on a small plate affixed to the press. But in the London Gazette article they are 'in the business of stationers and printers'.

I am wondering why their name was on the press rather than the press' manufacturers name.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: book press
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:08:48 pm »
I am not certain exactly what you are asking...

They were stationers and printers and thus made books (which were rare compared to us today).  The book press was to press the pages together and then they would glue the edges on one side of the compressed pages to bind the book together.

Back in that time period items were made specifically for businesses and their names were put on them. You see this most often in a business that had status.  Otherwise, you will see many earlier cast pieces without any identification on them at all.  You are privileged that yours has this on it. Increases value and establishes history of the item.

The only additional information that I could find on the "British History Online" site was that "'Little Tower Street - Loat's Building, A Dictionary of London (1918) Draper & Sons".  And the building showed up in Ordinance Survey Maps between 1848 - 1951.  So you at least have a time frame from that time onward when the building was erected.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:12:17 pm »
I am not certain exactly what you are asking...

They were stationers and printers and thus made books (which were rare compared to us today).  The book press was to press the pages together and then they would glue the edges on one side of the compressed pages to bind the book together.

Back in that time period items were made specifically for businesses and their names were put on them. You see this most often in a business that had status.  Otherwise, you will see many earlier cast pieces without any identification on them at all.  You are privileged that yours has this on it. Increases value and establishes history of the item.

The only additional information that I could find on the "British History Online" site was that "'Little Tower Street - Loat's Building, A Dictionary of London (1918) Draper & Sons".  And the building showed up in Ordinance Survey Maps between 1848 - 1951.  So you at least have a time frame from that time onward when the building was erected.
sometimes i despair.....we,re on the other post.....Mart..send KC a pair of $2 cheaters.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:31:10 pm »
THEY DOUBLE POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!