Author Topic: Book Press  (Read 2800 times)

esimuda

• View Profile
Book Press
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:14:36 am »

I have a book press that is linked to manufacturers Draper, Son and Deakin. In a London Gazette March 2, 1883 announcement messrs. Draper, Draper and Deaking of 5 Little Tower St, London, give notice that their partnership has been dissolved by mutual consent per 31 December 1882. So far so good. On my book press however, 'Draper Son and Deakin are mentioned as manufacturers on a small plate affixed to the press. But in the London Gazette article they are 'in the business of stationers and printers'.

I am wondering why their name was on the press rather than the press' manufacturers name.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Book Press
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:19:26 am »
but they are the press manufacturer...noth ing wrong here...from what i can see..they were printers and stationers...and manufacturers....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:27:47 am »
Lovely book press.

Bloody heavy things though !

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:43:42 am »
make a lovely weapon of torture.... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »
I am not certain exactly what you are asking...

They were stationers and printers and thus made books (which were rare compared to us today).  The book press was to press the pages together and then they would glue the edges on one side of the compressed pages to bind the book together.

Back in that time period items were made specifically for businesses and their names were put on them. You see this most often in a business that had status.  THEY MADE THE PRESS MOST LIKELY - They were manufacturers!!!  Otherwise, you will see many earlier cast pieces without any identification on them at all.  You are privileged that yours has this on it. Increases value and establishes history of the item.

The only additional information that I could find on the "British History Online" site was that "'Little Tower Street - Loat's Building, A Dictionary of London (1918) Draper & Sons".  And the building showed up in Ordinance Survey Maps between 1848 - 1951.  So you at least have a time frame from that time onward when the building was erected.

They also had businesses of printing/stationary at two other locations in London at the time they dissolved.  For further information you may want to research the individuals:  John Draper, John Nathanial Martin Draper and Alfred Deakin.  You can also research their other business addresses:  9 Love Lane, 9 1/2 Love Lane and 107 London-Wall.

As of the date you noted for the dissolution of the business...it was that date it was purchased and run soley by John Draper for the Little Tower Street and Love Lane businesses.  Alfred Deakin retained the business at 107 London-Wall.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:00:32 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

esimuda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
Thanks very much KC, bigwull and Ipcress - your comments are indeed helpful. My question was based on the assumption that a company involved in manufacturing stationary and producing books would not be involved in casting an iron press themselves. But you are right, they may well have manufactured it themselves. I found some more references as well on the net about the Drapers.
KC: would you mind giving me your guess about its value - your note on it because of the identification plate made me think. I bought it some years ago for approx. 40 pounds.

esimuda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
And KC / bigwull / Ipcress:
Indeed I double posted. And I'm sorry. Noticed that myself as well and tried to delete the double one but (probably because of inexperience / I just joined today) that didn't work. Sorry guys.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »
All is well.  Just gave Wullie something to harass me about.

By-the-way Wullie, have my cheaters on!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 03:17:12 pm »

me harass....never.... i just point you in the right direction....Heel!!...I said Heel!!...goddammit.... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »
see ebay link for prices....i know a guy who bought one of these...he makes home made cider....and the press is ideal for pressing the fruit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-book-press-jones-of-liverpool-/321162166245?pt=UK_Antiques_Other_RL&hash=item4ac6c1bfe5

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 06:34:57 pm »
The one on Ebay is garbage. This one is worth about £150

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 06:46:40 pm »

me harass....never.... i just point you in the right direction....Heel!!...I said Heel!!...goddammit.... ;D

I ought to wash your mouth out with soap Wullie !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:05:59 pm »
In addition to comments (about your cool press) from members , there also exists the possibility that the metal plate you've mentioned was sort of like a 'property' tag ... a common practice for machine/physical inventories still today , esimuda .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 12:43:42 am »
Whoa Wullie...language alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 02:05:52 am »
The one on Ebay is garbage. This one is worth about £150
the one??????????...i could have swore there was around 20 of the boogers.....as to worth....its only worth what someones prepared to pay....and right now in the current market..up here i don,t see that making over a ton.....