Author Topic: anybody know the value ?  (Read 3770 times)

phil57

• View Profile
anybody know the value ?
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:42 pm »
I have one just like this. Its an 1890's industrial wallpaper cutter. I looked everywhere that I could think of on the web and only found 2 that were sold and will not give you the price. Then I found you guys. I hope somebody knows.   Thank You.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: anybody know the value ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:03:57 pm »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

phil57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:28:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply that sounds great...more than I would have thought...I have much to learn.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:22 am »

Its an 1890's industrial wallpaper cutter.

Is your device actually marked or labeled as being a "wallpaper cutter" ..... because I can't imagine why anyone would have need of/for such a device.

Wallpaper is purchased in rolls and a sharp knife or razor blade works just fine for doing any "cutting" of it.

Anyway, I have never seen a wallpaper cutter that looked like that ...... but I have seen an old roller shade cutting machine that looked similar to your device.

Here is a newer motorized version of a roller shade cutting machine, to wit:

The above pictured cutter ..... plus a different version of an old cutter is commented about in his blog, to wit:

http://www.dwfcontract.com/Drapery--Window-Covering-Blog/bid/84998/I-was-cutting-Roller-Shades-at-10-years-old

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 08:41:34 am »
Last month I attended an auction consisting of the contents of an old hardware store. One of the items was a "wallpaper cutting counter", solid oak, about 6' in length x about 3' wide. It featured cubicles in the base for storage of the wallpaper rolls. There was a brass tag on the counter, indicating the manufacturer and patent date for "Improved Wallpaper ? ? ? ?". Mounted at one end was a trimmer, quite similar to the one being discussed, and the one pictured in the link below:

http://www.paintstoreonline.com/museum.html

The selling price for the complete unit at the auction was...$285

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »
Its an 1890's industrial wallpaper cutter.

Is your device actually marked or labeled as being a "wallpaper cutter" ..... because I can't imagine why anyone would have need of/for such a device.

Wallpaper is purchased in rolls and a sharp knife or razor blade works just fine for doing any "cutting" of it.

Anyway, I have never seen a wallpaper cutter that looked like that ...... but I have seen an old roller shade cutting machine that looked similar to your device.

Here is a newer motorized version of a roller shade cutting machine, to wit:

The above pictured cutter ..... plus a different version of an old cutter is commented about in his blog, to wit:

http://www.dwfcontract.com/Drapery--Window-Covering-Blog/bid/84998/I-was-cutting-Roller-Shades-at-10-years-old

i,m gonna re-name you Doubtful Dinah!!...it is what it says it is.... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »
Mounted at one end was a trimmer,

Now that is what was confusing me, .... the trimmer or cutter at one end. ??? ???

Now I have seen a roll-down shade being trimmed off so that it would fit the window. The retailer would have 1 standard size shde, say 36", and if you needed a new shade that was less than 36" he would "trim" it off ...... just like cutting a piece of water/gas pipe.

But now I have hung several dozens of rolls of wallpaper in my days ...... and the most tedious part about "paper-hanging" ... is the making sure that both the "edges" of the paper and the "pattern" on the paper ...... line-up exactly.

Thus said, I just can't imagine someone "trimming off" the edge(s) of rolls of wallpaper ....... and then expecting to "line-up" the pattern when pasting it to the wall.

Now a solid color paper, no problem. But pre-1940, big flowers, etc. and multi-colored paper was the norm for "brightening" up their abodes.

I think brightly colored wallpaper was like "printed" linoleum, "white" paint and the repo-Tiffeny glass (Carnival), .... the poor folks could live like the rich dudes. ;D ;D    

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:04:25 pm »
methinks you are missing the point..cogar...say for instance..there are 20 rolls of patterned wallpaper,.that were oversized .if all of these rolls were put through the trimmer/cutter,and cut to the same width....then the pattern would have to match,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »
The one in question looks like it was for cutting lengths not trimming width !!  Even years ago wallpaper had no border to remove or at least none that I have ever seen !! There is a border at the beginning of a roll and sometimes at the end but not the width !! I don`t care how sharp the knife was you can`t trim the width of a roll and make it fit !!  There would be rough edges if you did !! And that doesn`t work with wallpaper !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »
i,ve noticed of late..that we have been making mountains out of molehills....this cutter...as it was first mooted...is what it is,its a machine for cutting paper....pure and simple....nothing more nothing less...but when its viewed through umpteen different pair of eyes...we have all tried to disprove...that it is a cutting machine...or trimming machine....this i may add is what i found after googling, and what Rauville found after googling.....more often than not..the simplest answer is usually the correct answer....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:42 am »
The one in question looks like it was for cutting lengths not trimming width !!

Thanks for that "clue", Mart, I wasa previously thinking late 20th Century but may have now figured it out.

At sometime pre-40', 30', 20' or 1900, ... whenever, ...... wallpaper, like most all retail goods, ..... was not purchased pre-packaged "by-the-roll".

It must surely have been sold "by-the-foot" like other dry goods.

And ps Bigwull, ...... don't give up your day job to become a wallpaper hanger. ;D ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:53 am »
The one in question looks like it was for cutting lengths not trimming width !!

Thanks for that "clue", Mart, I wasa previously thinking late 20th Century but may have now figured it out.

At sometime pre-40', 30', 20' or 1900, ... whenever, ...... wallpaper, like most all retail goods, ..... was not purchased pre-packaged "by-the-roll".

It must surely have been sold "by-the-foot" like other dry goods.

And ps Bigwull, ...... don't give up your day job to become a wallpaper hanger. ;D ;D ;D

Avril is the wallpaper hanger in this house....me...i just sit an point her in the right direction..... ;D ;

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:08 am »
They were referred to as "Trimmers"...even back in the day. ;)

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3415494

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:40:52 am »
They were referred to as "Trimmers"...even back in the day.

::) ::) ::) Now Rauville, you know that you can not attest to that being a fact.

I don't really care what that auction website called it ...... because it make no logical sense to call it a "wallpaper trimmer".

Rauville, I am pretty sure that the confusion of its purpose ..... is the result of a misunderstanding about the 'nameplate' affixed to it.

It specifically states, to wit: MFG WALL PAPER TRIMMERS  ..... which means they were manufacturers of wall paper trimmers, ...... but it doesn't mean that particular item was a "trimmer" for trimming wallpaper.

Just because a foundry's nameplate states: ... MFG of Cast Iron Heating Stoves ..... doesn't mean they didn't manufacture cast iron pots and skillets ....... or that a pot or skillet with their logo on it was ..... actually a stove.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:44:56 am by cogar »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
They were referred to as "Trimmers"...even back in the day.

::) ::) ::) Now Rauville, you know that you can not attest to that being a fact.

I don't really care what that auction website called it ...... because it make no logical sense to call it a "wallpaper trimmer".

Rauville, I am pretty sure that the confusion of its purpose ..... is the result of a misunderstanding about the 'nameplate' affixed to it.

It specifically states, to wit: MFG WALL PAPER TRIMMERS  ..... which means they were manufacturers of wall paper trimmers, ...... but it doesn't mean that particular item was a "trimmer" for trimming wallpaper.

Just because a foundry's nameplate states: ... MFG of Cast Iron Heating Stoves ..... doesn't mean they didn't manufacture cast iron pots and skillets ....... or that a pot or skillet with their logo on it was ..... actually a stove.

there you go again..trying to baffle us with cogar gobbledygook....it does,nt work....it is what it says on the tin..... ;D