Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 6802 times)

nuteacher

• View Profile
What is it?
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:57 pm »
I ran across this at a thrift shop ($15). Two questions...what is it and is it an antique or no?

Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 01:19:13 am »
look religeous...reminds me of a lectern..or part of one...where you would sit the bible.....or am i barking up the wrong tree..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:55:50 am »
It does appear to be a double sided lectern but I have never seen one with candle holders attached! Maybe this was used in a private library or sitting room, or by monks. Maybe someone who would need to keep records in the evening. Just throwing out Ideas.  :) What does the top finial look like? Great piece where are you located? could you give us some close ups of the carved in areas and construction?  Can't wait to see what the others think!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:21 am »
What is the size ??  Is it very lightweight ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:27:28 am »
I was thinking it may have been used for displaying 2 copies of a "notice", etc., so that 2 people could view at same time.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:32:42 am »
Wood looks like Cypress !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:10 am »
First of all....need the size of said item!

I have seen one similar over the years that you would put the picture of a loved one OR of a religious figurehead for honoring or memorium.

I would use it as a fancy recipe card holder!  LOL

Would need to see a pic of the underside to answer any more information!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:44:06 am »
Wood looks like Cypress !!
na...this is Cyprus......

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:19 am »
And since it appears to have a lid,, what about inside ??  For storing candles maybe ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:19 am »
KC I would love it as a place to put my recipe book in my kitchen!!  I placed all my recipes in a pretty scrap booking book. They make so many pretty styles and I can add more sleeves as I find new Yummy recipes!  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:58:41 am »
If it is as I have seen...it isn't big enough for a book but the size of a recipe card!  It isn't hollow and doesn't open but is more of a decor item.  They were sold at home decorating shows.  If they did open, one side would open out on hinge and hold more recipe cards, photos, etc.  The knob at the top was for rotating the item only.  Sold 1970's onward.  Made in same manner of larger book holders from 1800's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

nuteacher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:24:39 am »
I'll post more photos, dimensions, weight, etc. this afternoon.

I will say that the bottom has green felt and that when I bought it someone had 'improved' its utility by adding a lampshade - (I took it off - it seemed a sacrilege to see it skewered thus with a rod and electrical fittings.) The top is another candle holder through which a hole was drilled for the rod.

Nonetheless, my sense is that it was originally as it looks - looking online, there was one...a full standing lectern (not table top) but w/o the candle holders... described as a music stand where the instructor would see the same music as the student while giving voice or instrumental lessons - or, perhaps, two could see the music  for each instrument while playing.

I too was intrigued by the possibility of a side opening to conceal or store something, but the thing is clumsily nailed with a few  more modern brads. Would you have given it a gentle shake? :D I did...nothing rattled or clunked. Maybe I should open it up  - perhaps there's an original copy of the constitution inside... ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:13 am »
Well if it has modern brads and green felt,, it isn`t old !!  Perhaps made like an old one though !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
Well if it has modern brads and green felt,, it isn`t old !!  Perhaps made like an old one though !!
..what do you mean it is,nt old....from where i,m sitting..this could be as old as the two of us together....just because some halfwit in the past has used modern nails and green felt. and used it as a lamp base..does,nt make it ...young..... :D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 01:18:40 pm »
The wood on the item sure looks old , what with all the (genuine?) wormholing & such .... but ... areas , such as in the 'upper left' section (as you face it from the front) seems to have been done with a router .
May just be some nice old wood that was repurposed into a replica ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "