Author Topic: Windsor chair?  (Read 5571 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Windsor chair?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 05:43:29 am »
I must say that this post was a learning experience !!  In all these years I had never heard of a birdcage Windsor !! 

Maybe, ..... here is another tid-bit of learning experience.  ??? ??? ???

When it comes to those old “spindle” chairs, there was a construction technique that not too many people are familiar with …… but was used by a few of the “old time” chairmakers for holding the cross-brace “spindles” permanently in place without the use of glue or nails.

I don’t know what the official name is so I’ll just call it a “ball-joint”.

The “spindles” were cut with a “ball” on each end and then laid aside to completely dry out.

The legs were then cut out of “green” wood (high moisture content) …… and the “spindle” holes were drilled the same diameter as the “balls” on the ends of the spindle.

The chair was then assembled and set aside for the chair legs to “dry out”. And when they did the wood would shrink and “clamp” tight around those “ball-joints”, never to come out again unless broken.   

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 07:30:42 am »
I have heard of that years before. Thanks for reminding me. The worst repair to undo is the nail in the joint that came apart. I have had to take the chair legs off and pound them with a rubber mallet just to get a grip on the nail heads. Them I had to fill and hide the holes and wrap the ends of the stretchers and reglue. That construction method would have prevented all that work. Unfortunately it was not used in later chairs.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 08:10:49 am »
...I must say that this post was a learning experience !!  In all these years I had never heard of a birdcage Windsor !!... 

They can even go by the name "Chicken Coop Windsor" as well.
http://www.bobdillonwindsorchairs.com/rodback.htm

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 08:18:17 am »
Hey, it's possible that this chair was made in the 1st half of the 19th century, impossible to tell from pic's alone. One thing for sure, this chair is worthy of some repair/restoration which would not cost much.  Linked below are mostly early types of American Windsors, many styles of these chairs are still made today.

http://www.americanwindsorchair.com/

I did the google image thing and this is what they have

https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+birdcage+windsor&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SpHvUfnKDIma8wT394GQAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

I would certainly keep and restore it !!  My thinking was early 1800`s but like you said,, hard to tell from pics !! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 09:52:21 am »
The worst repair to undo is the nail in the joint that came apart.

Right you are, ....... and that goes for any repair ...... when a wee small Finishing nail was used. Like so:

But I could usually get them out with minimal damage to the wood because I had in my collection of tools a pair of electrical/electronic "lead cutting" or Lead Dykes which I could get hold-of the nail head with and then lever or leverage it out of the wood.

You can buy these at Radio Shack, Auto Parts stores, etc. .... to wit:

Just make sure you buy the "good ones" if you are going to be pulling nails with them.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:56:24 am by cogar »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 11:36:45 am »
Here we call those side cutters and are a must have tool !!  They are good to get hold of those finishing nails !! I even have one in my tackle box !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 01:26:05 pm »
Most everyone calls that type of pliers a “side-cutter” and they make them in all sizes up to probably 12 inches in length.

But the one I posted a picture of is 6 inches in length and they call it a Lead Dyke …. as in “leads on electrical components or leads for a horse” …. and not as in “lead sinkers or leaded glass windows”. To wit, the source page:  http://www.mfrbee.com/product/2332752/6%22_Lead_Dykes__Spring_Loaded_Diagonal_Cutting_Pliers.html

Anyway, the ones I had were only about 4 1/2 inches in length, has a really sharp cutting edge, a flat face on one side of the cutters, a really sharp point on the end of the cutters and was made of hardened steel 

Here is a hi-buck one like I’m talking about …….but they don’t call them Dykes on  that site.
http://www.practicaltool.com/item/71686/exceltacut/

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »
I've always liked a pair of good "Flat face end cutters" for pulling brads and nails.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:36 pm »
I always used the dykes or side cutters. I had to be careful as I have nipped off the head on occasion. When I had a job working trucks many years ago they called them cotter pin removers. They were side cutters to me. I still use them for lots of things. Probably more than any other tool besides a pocket knife. They are good for getting that metal clip off off bagged ice cubes too.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 06:58:41 pm »
I've always liked a pair of good "Flat face end cutters" for pulling brads and nails.

That's a good one too !!  Two tools I use most are linemans pliers and side cutters !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 03:16:47 am »
Bigwull doesn't have a problem with nails in furniture ...... unless he throws his wood ashes in his driveway. ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 06:42:11 am »
We will have to ask what he does with all those nails he cleans out of his woodburner !!