Author Topic: What Can You Tell Me About This Washstand.  (Read 12129 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: What Can You Tell Me About This Washstand.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »
Frogpatch,, what you call a pull under the drawer front,, is there only one ?? Or is there one on each side ?? If only one would have to be in the center,, that looks like its on the side !!  Actually to me ,,when I enlarged it,,it appears to be where a knot fell out !! It doesn`t look like it was made intentionally !! Those type hidden pulls were not used till mid 20th century !!  I have looked most of the day today for anything similar and while I found a couple of similar ones,, there is no record of a hidden pull !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:28 pm »
I'ma laughin' at the lot of you on this one.  Hutches for rabbits, falling knot holes....

Isn't this site grand???!!!!???

Looks like a hall cabinet to me that might have boasted a mirror attached to the back!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:18 pm »
Looked for those and any bureau similar and found nada !!  Most like this was one with a marble top and backsplash !!  Don`t think this was one though !! They were the more ornate stands !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 03:44:51 am »
I believe it was the cabinetmaker who cut those hidden pulls on the bottom inside edge of that bowfront ...... because he would have never used a piece of wood with a knot in it like that and/or in that location ...... because sawing thru a knot pretty much guarantees that it just might fall out.

And it was those hidden pulls that convinced me that it was not a washstand. And that is because washstands were used daily, and even several times each day .... and oftentimes by different residents and/or guests in the same household.

Ya wouldn't put a hidden pull on a restroom door, now would ya? ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:49 am »
Cogar, that's what I mean,, that indention was not made intentionally, when I enlarged the pic the inside and surrounding edge was so rough that it looked like a knot had dried and fell out !!  Now if there is another on the other side,, then maybe it was done as a pull !! But if ( and I am sure you have ) you have ever tried to pull one of these older drawers out by using one pull instead of both hands,, it usually doesn`t work too well because one side will start but not the opposite one and it sticks !!  No, you wouldn`t think they would have used a board like that but,,,who knows !!
I would like to know if those square nails are the only type used in the construction or is there a mixture ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 11:40:56 am »
Are my eyes deceiving me...when you show the pic of the inside of the cabinet...it appears that the BACK edge of the top shelf is cut in a bow shape while the front (open side to camera lens) is straight?  Whereas the cabinet itself is bow in in the front?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:45 pm »
It is your depth perception thats deceiving you.

The bow you are seeing is the bottom of the drawer front.

I had to look twice to get my eyeballs seeing right.

Actually t'was my brain that needed a reinterpreting.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 03:43:42 pm »
Its a serpentine drawer front KC, the kind that wraps the outside edge  a little !!  Very similar cut to the French Provincial drawers of the 60`s !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »
This is getting crazy due to my cell phone pictures. I will put up new ones tomorrow. In the interim I will say that the hand hole is definitely original. The pulls are not as they are held on with wood screws that have poked through the wood on the inside of the drawer on the thinner section. Th door knobs are newer too. Look at the surface mounted lock. I have not looked close at that yet. Actually I have not have not even turned it over except when I put it in the car and all I saw were spider webs.

If there i anything you would like to see that would help please tell me and I will add it.

Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 06:07:12 pm »
I think it i missing a splash board because their are two holes. A towel rack would have required four.

The top section of a hutch only requires two holes.

i sometimes wonder about you.....what with your skyscraper "hutch"...and them pointed gnashjers.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

CallieGray

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
Wow!  I was looking at this and realized it reminds me of one of my own pieces of furniture... Despite the missing back piece which sticks up a bit, it looks very similar with the drawer and cabinets. 

Sorry for the horrible lighting... it doesn't actually have a yellow top.  It had a lamp behind it and I couldn't exactly move the lamp :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:18 pm »
Looks similar???....i want some of what you,ve been taking..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:24 pm »
Mart, the hand hole is in the center so there could not be one on the other side.

The holes are right below the top in the back top rail. One on each side. Anything tall would be unstable if attached there. Most top pieces of "hutches" just sit there unattached. Some rest in holes in the top as do splashes. Like I said it is only 29 inches tall. I have two real open hutches and a step back cupboard and the bases are all taller than that.

New pictures in the morning for you.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:50 pm »
When you take those pics tomorrow turn that drawer over and get a pic of the entire underside of it !! As close as you can and keep the whole thing in the pic !!   Are the square nails the only kind used in this or is there more than one kind of nail !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 05:35:31 am »
Frogpatch, I don’t know who made that cabinet or when, but it has all the “signs” of a pre-1882 hand-made solid Walnut base cabinet.

1-board burl Walnut top
solid Walnut chamfered door panels (and probably side panels)
solid Walnut 2-board chamfered back panel
serpentine drawer front cut from 4-quarter (4/4”) or 5-quarter (5/4”) solid Walnut board
square nails
hand-cut drawer front mortises
surface lock on door is original – note clearance cut-out @ front edge center of shelf

The door-stops on the bottom shelf are newly added or replaced. (door-stops were more often placed above the doors on the top cross-member, …. simply because “pressure” was applied at the top of the door when closing it, not at the bottom of the door)

The top portion of a 2-part cabinet is only unstable relative to it “falling” forward, … not backward, …… except for when it is being moved toward the wall or away from the wall. Thus, a 2-screw strap on the backside (1 strap in center or 2 straps with 1 on each side) is sufficient to stabilize cabinet top. (or a piece of wire and 1 nail/screw in the wall above the cabinet, works also  :D :D )

The cabinet’s current height of “only 29 inches tall” is irrelevant given the possibility that the legs could have been cut off  …. or ….. that is the original height that the cabinetmaker chose to make it. Most furniture of that era was “made-to-order”, …… it was not ordered “already-made”.

And keep in mind the fact that the average height of a female in the 1800's was 5 feet (60") tall.

The wife’s grandfather was a cabinetmaker and carpenter and all the furniture that he made was for himself or his children, …. but was “made-to-order” for all his customers ….. including the dozens n’ dozens of caskets that he “made-to-fit” the dear departed.  ;D