Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if these knives are of any value ??  (Read 2631 times)

Swedekeeles

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me if these knives are of any value ??
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:50:59 pm »
I bought both these knives at a antique shop for like 30$ and i have no idea if they are worth anything,
The handle on the bigger knife (older looking one) is made of ivory, and there are no text or anything..
Anyone have a hint ??  :-X
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:27:23 pm by Swedekeeles »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me if these knives are of any value ??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »
Real ??  You mean are they knives,, that's what I am pretty sure they are !!  (Joke)  Just kidding !!
The first one  with the X in the blade are those little dots slotted screws I see ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
I Bought these knives at a antique shop they look pretty real
and i have no idea if they are worth anything.. Anyone have a hint ??  :-X
i,m confused....you buy them...then ask us if they are worth  anything....next time ask first before spending anymore of your $$
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »
LOLOL  If you can pick them up and buy them...they are real!  :)

Now, if they hold value...yes.

Now, what kind of value...need more answers and better close up pics!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
Pardon us for our sloppy manners. Welcome to the group...hope you continue to partake.

Your knives are interesting. I'd guess maybe originally from India or thereabouts.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »
Rauville is right !! Excuse our poor manners and welcome to the group !! Haven`t been to the intro forum yet !!
As to the knives,, the blade on the top one is very poorly made and doesn`t look like it has ever had an edge. Haven`t enlarged the others yet but I think these may be tourist items intended as souveniers or shipped here to be sold in import shops !!  Do they have anything written on the blade or anywhere ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:02:13 pm »
Welcome swedekeeles Happy to have you join us!! Many of us have been on this forum for many years and we are like family so we get a little silly with the jokes sometimes!  ;) I tend to agree with mart these appear to be tourist items but nice for display! Please post better close up pics as KC has suggested maybe I missed something. 

Swedekeeles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:48 pm »
Real ??  You mean are they knives,, that's what I am pretty sure they are !!  (Joke)  Just kidding !!
The first one  with the X in the blade are those little dots slotted screws I see ??

Hello, sorry for my bad english.. i meant they don't look "Fake" or whatever its called,
the dots are not screws just decorative "holes" and forgot to mention the handle is made of ivory.

Swedekeeles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »
I Bought these knives at a antique shop they look pretty real
and i have no idea if they are worth anything.. Anyone have a hint ??  :-X
i,m confused....you buy them...then ask us if they are worth  anything....next time ask first before spending anymore of your $$

I only bought them for like 30$ so they are not expensive, and i mostly bought them because i like them, but always nice to know if they're worth anything :)

Swedekeeles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:22:46 pm »
Rauville is right !! Excuse our poor manners and welcome to the group !! Haven`t been to the intro forum yet !!
As to the knives,, the blade on the top one is very poorly made and doesn`t look like it has ever had an edge. Haven`t enlarged the others yet but I think these may be tourist items intended as souveniers or shipped here to be sold in import shops !!  Do they have anything written on the blade or anywhere ??
Thank you for the warm welcome! Nothing is written on them as far as i can se other than the markings, ill try to get better closeups.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:45 pm »
Please forgive me for having fun with the wording!!!  My Bad!  Feeling a little too jovial!

They do appear as tourist or decorative items from the pictures posted. 

The bottom line is...do you like them!  That is where the true value in a piece is.

And would need better close ups to determine if there is more monetary worth to the items!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Swedekeeles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:57:48 pm »
Please forgive me for having fun with the wording!!!  My Bad!  Feeling a little too jovial!

They do appear as tourist or decorative items from the pictures posted. 

The bottom line is...do you like them!  That is where the true value in a piece is.

And would need better close ups to determine if there is more monetary worth to the items!

Hehe, no problems! I know my english isnt what it used to be! ill try to upload more pics allthough i dont know how :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:08:01 am »
unless you got a certificate...with the "ivory"handled knife....proving that it is not . elephant ivory...then its most likely bone..as it is illegal to sell elephant ivory..without, permits, however there are lesser restrictions on walrus ivory....furthermor e...as you only paid $30...i,d be inclined to believe that its either bone or faux ivory....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:09:40 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,