Author Topic: cats and dogs,  (Read 2204 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
cats and dogs,
« on: July 23, 2013, 06:08:37 am »
i never thought i,d see the day, where, i,d be rejoicing,....watching cats and dogs fall out of the sky, ;D.. 18 straight days of a heatwave,as come to a glorious end...its chukking it down here, ...rain,glorious rain..albeit..warm rain, but its still welcome,....i,don,t know how you guys can function with the searing temps that you get,...this recent hot weather has been the best we,ve had since 76...but it has not been without tragic cost,..over 750 people have died...these last 3 weeks,due to drowning, and heat related illness....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: cats and dogs,
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:06 am »
I hope you went out and stood in it to cool off. Funny pic.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:36:52 am »

.....this recent hot weather has been the best we,ve had since 76...

It always seems like it is "hotter" when ya get older ........ cause ya pay more attention to both the heat and the cold than ya did when ya was younger.

And I read that you are having a "measles epidemic" over thataway.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/22/fifteen-years-after-autism-panic-plague-measles-erupts/

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:03:24 am »
OMG Bigwull how sad to have lost so many lives!! How hot has it been?? We have had a heatwave here also 99 - 100 degrees during the day and 80 at night and so so muggy!! I won't even tell you what my electric bill just came in at with the air conditioners running day & night!!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:18:28 pm »
It was a 100 degrees Saturday. Now it's hot and rains all in the same day! Thunder lightning storms. I'm sorry to hear about all the deaths. Heat is like a silent killer. You must drink a lot of water if your very active or Gatorade.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 06:04:48 pm »
OMG Bigwull how sad to have lost so many lives!! How hot has it been?? We have had a heatwave here also 99 - 100 degrees during the day and 80 at night and so so muggy!! I won't even tell you what my electric bill just came in at with the air conditioners running day & night!!
we,ve not had it near as much as that....its been high 70,s/low 80,s during the day, and low 60,s at night,....but, at least it means our electric bill will be much lower...last year at this time...it was £175..or $260ish for 3 months..that was because we had very little sun...but this time i expect it to be below,$200....as for aircon....i,ve got it in the car.....but not in the house....but i do have a home made thingymabob...that works well, and its cheap to run....take a large bowl,fill it with ice cubes...sit the bowl in front of a large fan, then switch fan on the cold air that rises from the ice..will be distributed around the room....the melting ice will last for approx 4/6hours....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »
I lived for six years in Florida where the temp hits 90 plus in May and stays there until Late October. The humidity is lower in a terrarium. The UV rays are toxic and make you sick just walking from your car across a parking lot. Yes, being older does not help but half the population is. I am back is NJ and will deal with a 400.00 monthly heating bill in January. It was 95 for five days last week but at least it quit. In Florida it just keeps cooking you for months without a break. It is so much like a sauna that the alligators develop smooth, soft skin with clean pores.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:06 pm »
That's why I like the change of seasons. By the time summer is done I'm ready for fall.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 07:37:07 am »
Me too. I like to buy my pumpkins and mums in the country where they are grown. In Florida I had to by them at the supermarket. They don't work that well with tropical foliage either. Fall is the best time here. Many crops are at their peak, the vacationers have given the beach back and the fish are in the surf. Then of course the foliage.