Author Topic: 2 dollar find , hirsh bear before hirsh become collectible ?  (Read 2507 times)

jerryk

• View Profile
I read some where about hirsh bears and the bear almost looks the same . Except the ones i find online were much more simple. The only marking on the bottom is R.R . On a different website hirsh never singed any bears during the 40's but started stamping the name when it became collectible. I dont know anything about it all i know it's a cookie jar, sadly the hat has a chip but's other then its ok.  Maybe it's nothing more then some average cookie jar. Anyone know about any history would be great

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: 2 dollar find , hirsh bear before hirsh become collectible ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:45 pm »
Found 2 of your little guys no mold marks , they were first sold in 1969  Not really sure what hirsh bears you are talking about but I think this mold was sold to local ceramics places for people to purchase the blank and paint & fire themselves at the classes , I think the R.R. are the painters initials. The colored bear in my photo #1 has V.K. marking on the bottom.

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 02:46:51 pm »
Thanks wendy again, i found several of those online. I thought perhaps this bear could have been William H. Hirsch Mfg Co. I dont know anything about them . Ill put an ebay link below . But saying this was a mold from around 1969 i can make sense of it . It looks like someone took their time painting it , I could only find pretty basic paint jobs. Mr or Mrs ahead of the class worked late that night i guess :)  that's a great book by the way i would love to find a copy if you can possibly tell me the name of it.

William H. Hirsch Mfg Co

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-William-H-Hirsch-Mfg-Co-Bear-Cookie-Jar-/330954887136

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
Can you show the marking on bottom ??  Is it hand written ??

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:17 pm »
ill post one in in just a sec Mart

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:25:29 pm »
Here is the marking

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:39:28 pm »
Wendy is right !!  Ceramics class or an individual made it !! Its not a factory mark !!  They just opened a new ceramics studio here !!  Hasn`t been one in this town since the 80`s,,, till now !!  Guess its getting popular again !!

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »
yes wendy is very right, My GF really wanted to know about this. It's creepy smile made it stand out. Really enjoy finding these items.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »
Can you show the marking on bottom ??  Is it hand written ??
there you go again..always wanting to see bottoms.. ;D...well here,s hundreds  of them....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bottoms&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vbbxUaLBO82Z0QXp24GwBg&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1198&bih=665#imgdii=_
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 08:10:38 pm »
Bottoms up! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
OK    The ebay link bear is by Hirsch MFG company, your bear if you look closely has an added tongue licking his top lip on the right, this bear I'm sure was copied from Hirsch and the change was the tongue , so it could be sold to the ceramic shops.  Hirsch mfg bears are worth much more than studio pieces!   

Bigwull my hubby liked the hundreds of them  ;D

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »
I totally agree with you Wendy , and you have been awesome, and a star on getting these questions answered. 5:43 min still on? i guess i love the forum, and bigwulls bottom links.