Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 4080 times)

Iknownothing

• View Profile
Any ideas?
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:19:28 pm »
I have two pieces I am curious to find info about. Let me first say, we have them because we like them and don't care about any value they may or may not have. However they have peeked our interest in antiques.  One is a dresser that was sold as an antique dresser, possibly from the Art Deco period.  The other is a chest-like "thing" (I'm very technically knowledgable, I know  ;)) that I found on a corner in our neighborhood for free. I just thought it looked cool and funky, so I picked it up. I'll attach more photos below as I'm getting limited. Any insight is greatly appreciated as, I know nothing! :)

Iknownothing

• View Profile
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:20:26 pm »
More...

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:52 pm »
And more

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:24:02 pm »
And more

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 11:25:16 pm »
Sorry... More

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »
Last.. All on my iPad, so sorry for poor quality

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:55:43 am »
don,t apologise...we love pics,especially ones that are the right way up....your 2 drawer chest of drawers..which may have had a mirror above at some time,.looks to be from the 30,s...likewise the red piece...which will probably have been a dark wood jobbie under that coat of paint....its not my cup of tea...but i,m sure Tinkerbells pal will love it.... :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:57:18 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 10:07:48 am »
Right on timeline !! 30ish !!  Your chest like thingy is the bottom part of a kitchen cupboard similar to some Hoosier types or bakers cabinet !!  Dresser is Jacobean revival style likely later in the 30`s from that type door/drawer pulls !!

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:31:43 am »
Thank you both so much! So the cupboard thing... is it old?  I simply love it. I don't know why. It caught my eye and then I saw the "free" sign so I nabbed it. ;-) My husband and I are just now realizing we like old things because they have more character. My mom has TONS of antiques from my great grandmother I'd love to post here. I'll have to take pics the next time I'm at her house!

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:34:08 am »
And bigwull... My husband is from Edinburgh! We live in California now (where I'm from). When you say "jobbie" you must be referring to poo? Lol!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:00:05 am »
Sound like something Wullie would say!  LOL

Depression era piece that is still being loved and used!!!!  They do have an appeal.  Actually love the red one!!!  Enjoy!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:34:25 pm »
Both about same era !! I would have snatched that one too !!  I even like the color !!  It says "country kitchen"!! Love it !!  Dresser has been at least revarnished !! Runs on back !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »
And bigwull... My husband is from Edinburgh! We live in California now (where I'm from). When you say "jobbie" you must be referring to poo? Lol!
well, no i was,nt saying it was shite...its just an expression we have here in the east, i,m originally fae Dundee...but...you are correct with the jobbie...being poo....but..its also...slang for an object....seeing as how you man is fae Edinburgh...i,ll hae tae dig oot ma Edinbugger versus Weegie.s joke book......is he a posh Edinbugger fae Morningside....or is he one o, them fae Costorphine.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »
My father-in-law is actually from Glasgow, and I would say my husband is far from posh. Ha! The hubby grew up in Colinton (Bonaly if that means anything to you). His dad now lives in Ormiston but his mom is still in Edinburgh.

Iknownothing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 02:29:10 pm »
Oh and my husbands best friend lives in Dundee. He is a professor at the university there.