Author Topic: Samuel Lear majolica?  (Read 5076 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Samuel Lear majolica?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
Wullie,, what is the place you always recommend for appraisal or verification ??  Since we can`t find anything on these plates maybe he could email them a pic just to get a yes or no !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »
Your wish....is my command.....
here you are...

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 05:35:41 am »
Have sent them 2 photo's. with a few details about where they were found and what else was found with them dating back to 1832.

And have also sent the same info to

Majolica International Society: The Official Page
http://www.facebook.com/majolicainternationalsocietyofficialpage

EDIT:
My Reply from MIS
Majolica International Society: The Official Page
Good morning, your plates appear to be made by Samuel Lear on Hight St. In Stoke on Trent.....They started producing majolica in 1882. There is a one column reference to the company on page 112 of Marilyn G. Karmason and Joan Stacke Grahams book :  Majolica: A Complete History & Illustrated Survey (Hardcover)by Marilyn G. Karmason with Joan Stake Graham,
by Marilyn G. Karmason with Joan Stake Graham
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:54:44 am by P360NUT »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 08:13:56 am »
Would like to know why more of this type can`t be found ?? And are the others you have the same since they are not marked ?? If you can`t prove that the unmarked plates are by the same maker your value for the others would be lower !!

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 09:12:45 am »
Yes Mart I Agree. ???
They are exactly the same colour size & pattern and were in the same box. 
I will get more photo's tomorrow & I still have a visit a my grandmother planed next week with lots of questions & some photos to help jog her broken memory :/

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:10:29 am »
Just reicieved this from MIS.  :)

I have sent your images to Christies New York. Here is the response.

Thank you for the images of a crisp English fern and vine molded majolica dessert plate.  The impressed mark refers to a firm established by Samuel Lear, circa 1887-1886.

In addition to the wonderful information in Marilyn and Joan’s book, web reader’s might enjoy this link to the Stoke-on-Trent  Potteries site.  Their source for the entry on Lear is Jewitt’s and surveys of the period among others. Please find some of the details cut and pasted below.  Also find a Christie’s lot entry for a Samuel Lear majolica teapot with footnotes referencing good sources for the works including a period advertisement published by the Pottery Gazette.

http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/649a.htm

Mayer Street Works, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
Mayer Street Works
In about 1877, Samuel Lear erected a small china works on part of the site of the old manufactory, which included as warerooms and offices the residence of the Mayers.
Mr. Lear produced domestic china and, in addition, decorated all kinds of earthenware made by other manufacturers - a specialty being spirit kegs. He added to his Mayer Street works a new manufactory, built by himself in 1882, in the High Street and there carried on a successful manufacture of ordinary china, majolica, ivory body earthenware and Wedgwood-type jasper ware. Samuel Lear fell on bad times in 1886 and his creditors closed the works.

Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900
Thomas Bevington was recorded as working these works in 1892.

1898 OS map showing Mayer Street

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 01:30:40 pm »
Will be interested to hear what the others have to say !! And let us know about your grandmothers recollection of them !!