Author Topic: How to clean an old quilt  (Read 1572 times)

debodun

• View Profile
How to clean an old quilt
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »
This quilt I remember my mother buying this 2-sided quilt from her brother's wife's mother for $25 back in the 1970s. Judging from the woman's age at that time, the quilt was probably made in the 1920s. It was stored in the attic for decades, then in an unused bedroom. However, somehow it got badly stained (I don't know with what, but looks suggestive, like the cats may have gotten to it). I was concerned about how to clean it - I can see places where it's starting to pull apart. Seems a shame to trash it, but in its condition, I am concerned it would disintegrate in the washer. On top of that, the stains may be set in. Best course of action?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: How to clean an old quilt
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »
Was this quilt against something wooden? It looks like stains from the acidity in the wood. I don't know if there is a good way to get these kinds of stains out.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
I can't say for sure about being against anything wooden, although when it was in the attic, it was stored in a walk-in cedar closet.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
I personally use Woolite and a gentle cycle...but my truly old ones I just have as is.

I have laid them out in the sun to try and brighten some (the white ones). 

But i have always liked this article:
http://hartcottagequilts.com/quiltcare.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »
Do you have a table outside to lay it on ??  If so you can try to treat the stain with lemon juice and sunlight to lighten it !!  Just apply the lemon juice to the stain with a cotton swab and leave it in the sun !! May not make it go away completely but several applications may lighten it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:10 pm »
just do what we do with all the old quilts/duvet,s...use them for bedding for the dog/cat....they don,t mind if they,re worn and ragged....cos after all, you,ve had your money,s worth out of it.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,