Author Topic: If finials of an antique chair are missing but replaced, is it still an antique?  (Read 1621 times)

minnie1c1

• View Profile
I saw chairs on ebay "Renaissance oak carved, Hunt" but the finials are missing. They are at a great price. If I had some made for the chairs, would it still be considered an antique? I'm an inexperienced antique buyer but I would love to learn.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
It is still an antique chair...but it has had a repair!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
If you don`t have the finials to know what type,, making one might not be correct for that chair !! Can you post a link to the chair you are looking at ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Good call Mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
if said finials are,missing altogether,and you get ones made...to match what the original ones looked like....then..it does not become an antique chair that has had a repair....it becomes a restored antique chair....there is a vast difference between the two....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Who yanked your chain? (as you would normally say to us!)  AND you in fact, (drum roll), could very well be correct Mr. Wullie!  If in fact it is made with correct wood, correct design, etc. 

mart

• View Profile
LOL !!  Don`t ya` hate to admit when he is right !!  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Yeah Mart...it is almost painful!  LOLOL  But it is wonderful at the same time!  :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Who yanked your chain? (as you would normally say to us!)  AND you in fact, (drum roll), could very well be correct Mr. Wullie!  If in fact it is made with correct wood, correct design, etc. 
rattling cages and yanking chains....again like repaired ..or restored..there is a vast difference....but,..i,ll take it as a compliment..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Yeah...you are right again.  Oh my.....