Author Topic: French Napoleonic table?  (Read 8596 times)

Cathy

• View Profile
French Napoleonic table?
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »
I have looked everywhere for a table similar to this one and can't find it. I am not a professional antiques person and really want to know about this table. It has been in my family for at least three generations. I was told a great grandfather brought it across the Panama Canal. Anyone know it or have any advice for me? It would be highlt appreciated!

It has metal feet, a removable top and original paper rectangles with pencil written on them are tacked to the bottom and insides of it. It is light and the decorations and fittings are brass.

mart

• View Profile
Re: French Napoleonic table?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »
Can we get a good clear pic of the paper labels and one of the top, please !!  Where did your great grandfather come from ??

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:28:30 pm »
Photos...

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
One more...

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »
I don't know where my grandfather came from.  :-\ I am told that side of my family is a mix that includes German, Scotch and Polish, mostly German.

The top split in half rather cleanly. I am considering having it restored...even if it's not worth anything. It is a family heirloom either way.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:45:35 pm by Cathy »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 03:53:01 pm »
  Numbered like it is I would assume it was purchased at auction somewhere !! Can`t think of any other reason it would be marked like that !!

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 04:00:57 pm »
 Numbered like it is I would assume it was purchased at auction somewhere !! Can`t think of any other reason it would be marked like that !!

??? Really? It was a while ago if so. I know my grandmother grew up with it in her house. I wasn't expecting that response at all. lol

By the way, I was guessing at "french, Napoleonic" do you think I am close? I really want to know more about it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:04:59 pm by Cathy »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »
Well, they had to purchase it somewhere !!  Could be another reason,,but that's what comes to mind !!  Ipcress is a bit closer to that area of the world,,let him look at it !!  A few others might know as well but he has been on today !!  Haven`t seen the others !!

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »
Wow. I will try to post a better picture of the lables. It's a fancy N with curls on it's bottom left and upper right ends with a circle under the upper right curl. then 98X4

Thank you so much! I will wait and see if Ipcress sees it. :)

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:09:19 am »
Well i'm not sure about Napoleonic. The basic style is similar but the legs and the frieze are not. I like the legs though but those feet seem out of place, almost as if they were added at a later date to increase the table's height !

I'll admit though that non British furniture of this type is a secondary subject for me so i've e-mailed an old colleague

Had it been a Jacobsen or Niemeyer chair i'd have been straight in  ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:36:08 am »

??? Really? It was a while ago if so. I know my grandmother grew up with it in her house. I wasn't expecting that response at all. lol

That ## t'was nothing to worry about. Me thinks they have been auctioning off household good for far longer than that table has been around.

But anyway, that could be an "inventory #". It was common practice in the old days for the contents of the homes of the "well-to-do's" to be inventoried either pre or post their demise.

And it is those "inventory lists" that permits the preservaton societies to "track down" furniture. etc. when restoring a home of some noted family/person.  ;D

PS: here is reference of one such "list".

Historical Notes: When Thomas Jefferson married the young widow Martha Wayles Skelton in January 1772, she brought to their household a number of items acquired during her first marriage to Bathurst Skelton, 1766-68. On January 18, 1772, Jefferson made a list in his Fee Book, "By sundry European goods on hand at the death of B. Skelton & taken by me." The list mentions many household items, including one silver ladle, one dozen tablespoons, one dozen teaspoons, two pairs "gaderoon salts" with four glass liners and four "salt shovels."
http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/soup-ladle
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:44:41 am by cogar »

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 05:12:41 am »
Yeah, i don't see an auction house tacking / nailing a number to a table. More likely for shipping purposes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:22:30 am »
Yeah, i don't see an auction house tacking / nailing a number to a table. More likely for shipping purposes.

Well,, Had no idea how they may have done the numbering years ago,, !! 

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:55 am »
Do you see an auction house intentionally damaging an antique table, even if it is only a tack ?

Always sticky labels, tied labels. Sometimes chalk which can be cleaned without damage,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:29 am »
Well,, back then it was just used furniture even if it is in a Napoleonic style !!  Wondering if the 98x4 would indicate that there were more !!