Author Topic: French Napoleonic table?  (Read 8594 times)

Ipcress

Re: French Napoleonic table?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:43:56 am »
Actually, Mart, that could be an auction house sticker. 98 would be the vendor's unique number and the table would be the 4th item on their list.
Could also be a delivery number, the 4 indicating how many items there were

I'd be disappointed if an auction house used tacks though. Same with stickers on books - leave it to the libraries to vandalise those.

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:12 am »
This has been handed down to me as well, made by a great grandfather on the same side of the family somewhere, a carpenter's tool box. He was a carpenter, of course.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:29 am »
My Dad was a carpenter/builder and I see some of the same tools he had in his tool box !! Almost all carpenters had a similar tool box. Mitre saw, brace,  Little holes would hold the bits !!

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 11:08:18 am »
It came to mind because Ipcress mentioned that the feet on the table may have been added later.

The tools are higgeldy piggeldy now. A mix of old and not so old. :)

P.S. I'm waiting for bigwull to tell me to burn it :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:12:03 am by Cathy »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »
It came to mind because Ipcress mentioned that the feet on the table may have been added later.

The tools are higgeldy piggeldy now. A mix of old and not so old. :)

P.S. I'm waiting for bigwull to tell me to burn it :D
the table yes...the tools no..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »
Wullie thinks a lot of the things we like are kindling !!  ;)  Don`t you dare burn that table !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 04:01:08 pm »
Wullie thinks a lot of the things we like are kindling !!  ;)  Don`t you dare burn that table !!
that,s because sometimes you,ve got the taste of an ingin.... ;D

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 06:54:49 pm »

lol, I will NOT burn the table! It's been through 3 generations in my family. It's priceless to me...unless it turns out to be worth megabucks at auction...which I doubt. :) It's definitely not kindling though. Not sure what to do with the tools though  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 07:19:57 pm »
Well, A lot of them are newer !! But personally if you are going to play around with furniture like you mentioned,, you had better keep them !!  You would be surprised at how handy those hand tools are !! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 01:58:57 am »
Little holes would hold the bits !!

Uh, ..... no, ...... not auger bits. ;) ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 03:49:05 am »

lol, I will NOT burn the table! It's been through 3 generations in my family. It's priceless to me...unless it turns out to be worth megabucks at auction...which I doubt. :) It's definitely not kindling though. Not sure what to do with the tools though  ;)
[/quotesend them to me...]i,ll pay the postage...and i,ll send you a nice Scottish hamper.... :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 10:27:25 am »
Well,, that's where my dad kept his small wood bits,, not for the brace,, he had an electric drill !! Other side for nail set ect !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:31 am »
I almost lost my sip of tea when I was reading this thread and Cathy wrote "P.S. I'm waiting for bigwull to tell me to burn it :D"!  She has been watching this forum way-too-long!  LOLOL

Ipcress, unfortunately I have seen where older pieces went through auction houses and used tacking/upholstery nails on pieces that these days would be worth $$$.  Auction houses overall have gotten better through the years but the little mom/pop operations and importers just do what they can to get by.

I have been looking at this piece and can say I haven't seen another one like it.  If I view it with out the feet it looks more like an older one from across the pond.  I believe the feet were added as well.  I like the looks of it alot!!!!  LOVE THE FAMILY HISTORY OF IT!  You need to document it and keep it with it for generations to come!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:43 am »
Going on the image, he's said late 19th, 1870-1890 and is arts and crafts influenced although the exact country of origin is difficult to tell. I thought Napoleonic was a bit early but this table does seem to be taking influences from a couple of different places.

I agree with keeping it and saving it as a family talking point

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »
I looked at others with the Napoleonic style and similar feet but very different legs !!