Author Topic: If I can't sell it on eBay where then?  (Read 11417 times)

Justin Smith

• View Profile
If I can't sell it on eBay where then?
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:04:34 pm »
eBay have started really putting up their prices and its really effecting those trying to sell antiques. If I can't sell it on eBay where then? Is eBay the best palce to sell antiques online anyway, considereing all the extra charges they are lumping on, what other auction sites do you recommend?

Student Survey - eBay Questionnaire - www.studentsurvey.c o.uk

Rob

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 11:19:37 am »
There is a new site called Jittery that charges no selling fees.  They offer marketing tools, like featured listings and CRM software (it lets you market to those who bought from you before).  You pay to use the marketing tools - if you are interested in that.  It's www.jittery.com

Dan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 09:38:17 pm »
Check out www.ziing.com they have NO LISTING FEES and NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED. They're not Ebutt, They're Better!

Jimbo

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 01:24:51 pm »
Try tias.com for selling your antiques. Another I have had success with is goantiques.com

lostnyc

• View Profile
Re: If I can't sell it on eBay where then?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:40:39 pm »
I'd be REAL careful about goantiques, there is a huge thread on the Ebay forums about  them and not one post there is in any way flattering. After reading there I CANCELLED my bid on a live auction by them.

parrotpat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:11:35 am »
There is a place called Craigslist and it is all over the country.  You can post items for sale with no charge.  http://phoenix.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:43:55 pm »
Craigslist is a real winner. Sites that are useful AND not over run with advertisements (like this one  :) ;) ) are hard to come by. thanks for the link.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

antiqueguy11

• View Profile
    • Antiques Buyers Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:24:26 am »
the fact is that everyone is going to be effected by ebay pushing up their prices. Instead of having your margins pushed, I would see it more as having your cost of sales put up. Everyone is in the same boat here and we can all still make money on ebay.
My website which is about furniture antiques, art antiques and pretty much anything on the topic of Antiques

lostnyc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:44:32 am »
the fact is that everyone is going to be effected by ebay pushing up their prices. Instead of having your margins pushed, I would see it more as having your cost of sales put up. Everyone is in the same boat here and we can all still make money on ebay.

I have a friend who was selling $5,000 a week worth of musical instruments a week on Ebay, then some jerk came along and was giving my friend some hassle over the price or something related to he wanted it shipped overnight at no extra cost I forget what, anyway, my friend declined his sale, refunded his money from PayPal and about 3 days later his account on Paypal was frozen with about $2,000 cash in it and no explanation. He was a powerseller with 99. something pos feedbacks and a member since 2001, Paypal which is owned by Ebay refused to tell him why they froze his account and claimed it was "something on your credit report"

His calls to Paypal were fruitless, they said he could not appeal and they would not reinstate his account, so that started a downward spiral where his customers expecting their merchandise were refunded by Paypal and were angry they didn't get their items and left negative feedbacks- about 10-12 all in a week due to that.
Then Ebay shut his account off and it now shows "No longer a registered member"
Naturally my friend is extremely upset, his business has been literally destroyed by Ebay and now he has been forced to sell of things to live on while scrambling to put up alternatives sales venues- web site etc which will takes months to get sales from.

So the warning is DO NOT EVER put all your sales on Ebay because like so many others this sort of thing has hapened to- one complaint there or Paypal can get your account terminated without warning. See paypalsucks.com too while you are at it.
My friend calculated that with t he Ebay fees for listing 70-80 items at a time, the final value fees, the PayPal fees etc he was paying out close to 30% and really was not making much money at all.
He, like myself enjoyed Ebay's spendid email around Xmas time that said (despite record profits I might add);

"Happy Holidays! Happy New Years!" oh, by the way, after much thought we are RAISING fees, again, Happy New Year!"

Yep, Happy New Years to us!

try ziing.com and blujay.com   ziing was started as a free alternative to Ebay started by former Ebay users.

An antique dealer was in the news for shill bids on his items, he was ripping people left and right that way brazenly till a reporter exposed him, when he was caught he claimed Ebay would do nothing because he was a power seller and brought them tens of thousands of dollars a week... they closed his account, probably only because it was in the news and made Ebay look bad.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:51:06 am by lostnyc »

auctionpunk

• View Profile
    • AuctionPunk
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:08:26 am »
I was once a powerseller on ebay. Somebody made a bogus complaint, and ebay didnt even check the facts. Before i new it i was kicked off and had to go through a lot of hasstle to get my account back up again. Ebays fees eventually got to me and have now had a go at setting up my own auction site. Its still brand new but any feedback aboyt cattegories will be appreciate, NO listing fees and NO end of auction fees. It will be a lonk road but will be worth it in the end.

jt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 06:09:34 am »

classifieds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:22:42 pm »
craigslist, oodle, backpage.com, there a bunch of classifieds sites out there, just do a google search.   :)