Author Topic: Masonic Seal  (Read 3795 times)

P360NUT

• View Profile
Masonic Seal
« on: August 13, 2013, 05:59:46 am »
Just had it tested it for gold at local high street Jewelers &YES  it has NO hallmark but is gold!?
The jeweler said it was Victorian and sometimes they didn't hallmark!!?? & because it was unusual he offers me £150.
I brought it home for closer inspection.

It Appears to be an Amber stone and the logo could be Masonic?
cant make out exactly what the Latin says :(
(large photo alert)

P360NUT

• View Profile

Ipcress

Re: Masonic Seal
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:45 am »
It appears to be a seal featuring the family crest of the Messiter family from Somerset. Late 18th, early 19th century. The family are buried in Wincanton Church and the crest and motto are on white marble tomb. I'd hazard a guess at 18ct looking at the patina / tone of the gold

They are mentioned in The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire by William Phelps.

If you are interested in selling it i would contact Dukes auctioneers and Mendips auctioneers, see what value they think it might fetch locally.

How much does the seal weigh ? Looks quite small
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:34:49 am by Ipcress »

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:59:21 am »
Intresting  :)

Its 13.9g on my scales inc the stone.
---------------------
I found this info
Malin Messiter...Junior Warden Somerset Lodges
Royal Somerset Lodge No. 973
warranted 1863

http://www.pglsomerset.org.uk/royalsomerset.htm

But I do think your right & its probably not Masonic... Unless its all a SECRET NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK ;)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:14:23 am by P360NUT »

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:07:56 am »
Really ? Can i see it vertically, please ?

Probably 8 or 9 grams of gold there so that's £160-180. The intaglio seal shouldn't weight more than 5g

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:14:15 am »
By the way..

One day i was going through a box of items for an elderly couple. The usual knick-knacks that families tend to keep from the Edwardian and George V period. Fountain pens, vesta cases, coins etc. There was also a gold fob. I'm looking at the seal and it's quite dirty but there's a man on his knees and he seems to be praying. So i read the inscription and it's " Am I Not A Man And A Brother ". An anti slavery seal that  featured on some Wedgwood products as he was a member of the Society For The Abolition Of The Slave Trade.
Made quite a bit of money.

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:22:40 am »
0.49OZ

Do you mean this view?

I edited my Prev post with info about a" Malin Messiter"

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:39:19 pm »
Is the stone cracked or is it just veining?

Nice Piece!  Definitely different from any Masonic items I have seen!!!!
I am leaning towards family crest as well!!!

Did the jeweler say it was Amber?  Coloring in pic resembles shell or some other stone.

NICE FIND Ipcress!  Wow!

First of all, its says MESSI TER (PorR)ELI(CorG)I
Can you help out on this?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:56:35 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
I don't think the stone is chipped it might be veining.
He didn't say it was amber it was guess because of its colour.

I've been pushing it into soft material trying to read the inscription but I cant say for def what it says.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 04:32:45 pm »
Is the stone cracked or is it just veining?

Nice Piece!  Definitely different from any Masonic items I have seen!!!!
I am leaning towards family crest as well!!!

Did the jeweler say it was Amber?  Coloring in pic resembles shell or some other stone.

NICE FIND Ipcress!  Wow!

First of all, its says MESSI TER (PorR)ELI(CorG)I
Can you help out on this?
you,re needing new specs...thats the reflection of the gold that you see on the underside..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:31 pm »
It looks to be carnelian which is a type of agate used for seals and etchngs.It doesn't look amber to me

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:13:01 pm »
Wullie, you made me laugh out loud at myself.  Now that I am on my laptop I can see that it is the reflection!  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL  At least between Mart and myself we keep you on your toes trying to keep us in order.  By-the-way, have new glasses on order and they should be in within a couple of weeks! :)

Ma, welcome.  I do think it could be a carnelian...just not as red as so many you see from Victorian times.

P360nut, just for grins search Victorian carnelian intaglio fob and you will see so many kinds/styles.  Search it on ebay for current values there as well.  They do sell well!!!!  Yours would have a special meaning to the family line!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

P360NUT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:38 am »
I made out the latin to be

MESSI TER FELICI

and it matched with what Ip said

The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire;: Being a General and ... - Volume 1, Parts 3-6 - Page 166 - Google Books Result
William Phelps - 1836 - ‎Church history
Motto: Messi ter felici. "In memory of Lieut. Henry Lewis, R.N., who died November 16th, 1788, aged 57 years

& Thanks yes I'd agree its Carnelian :)

as for selling it to the family... Err Its was found in my Grandfathers davenport so I'd guess I'm a descendant ??? lol
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:36:32 am by P360NUT »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:45:40 am »
Err...Didn't see anything referencing it was a family item in the thread.  We have many people who end up with items that aren't directly related to their families/family history by chance, purchase, (even had a few items we suspected were stolen), etc.  In fact I would bet that  over the past couple of years this site has answered more questions for items that didn't belong to family but were acquired in other ways.

So glad this has special meaning to you and is a family heirloom.

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:53:43 am »
I made out the latin to be

MESSI TER FELICI

and it matched with what Ip said

The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire;: Being a General and ... - Volume 1, Parts 3-6 - Page 166 - Google Books Result
William Phelps - 1836 - ‎Church history
Motto: Messi ter felici. "In memory of Lieut. Henry Lewis, R.N., who died November 16th, 1788, aged 57 years

& Thanks yes I'd agree its Carnelian :)

as for selling it to the family... Err Its was found in my Grandfathers davenport so I'd guess I'm a descendant ??? lol

You need to read what's above the motto, not beneath it. There it tells you about the Messiter family