Author Topic: Acquired another Kewpie today, I think it may be signed— help?  (Read 7008 times)

starbelly

• View Profile
It's about 5" tall, all bisque, and I'm 99% sure that it's signed by Rose O'Neill on the bottom of its feet. I bought it without realizing the etching on the bottom, but when I got it home and looked at it closer I was shocked. I compared it to other signed ones that are being auctioned online, and it looks like the exact signature, with the elongated l's in "O'Neill". I only paid 100 dollars for it, which, if this is actually a signed one, was basically robbery.

On a side note, I also purchased a cassette tape from the band Hole that was signed by Courtney Love and the rest of the band members, and it was only 30 dollars, and is worth probably 5+ times that. It was a good day to go antique shopping apparently.

Anyhow, any Kewpie experts here, can someone verify the signature? Any clue just how old this one is? If it's legitimately signed, how much is it worth, roughly? It's in just about flawless condition; the rubber bands on one arm is a bit loose, but that's all. I'm still in shock about it. Not sure how the antique dealer missed that this one was signed!

I've attached photos.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Acquired another Kewpie today, I think it may be signed— help?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:28:57 pm »
As the market stands today,, you overpaid !!  $100. is high retail price !! None of them are selling !! The value means nothing if no one is buying !! Etsy has the same 5" doll for $75.,, several on ebay with different positions and none are being bid on !!  There was a couple of similar dolls selling,, the unmarked dolls by different companies,, but they were in the $10. range !!

starbelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »
As the market stands today,, you overpaid !!  $100. is high retail price !! None of them are selling !! The value means nothing if no one is buying !! Etsy has the same 5" doll for $75.,, several on ebay with different positions and none are being bid on !!  There was a couple of similar dolls selling,, the unmarked dolls by different companies,, but they were in the $10. range !!

I wasn't asking whether or not I overpaid; don't be so frenetic. I want to know the list value (like according to a doll collector catalogue or antique catalogue). I didn't buy it because I want to sell it, I bought it because I love Kewpies and they are hard to come by, especially old ones, let alone signed old ones that are in this good of condition. I collect, I don't deal.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:32:30 pm by starbelly »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »
If you like it and your not selling it then it is worth it. As long as it didn't keep you from paying your electric bill. I have paid retail for things that I really wanted. People do it with designer clothes all the time but that is OK. I bought my wife a Louis Vuitton bag for 300.00 back in the 80s. She did not tell me I paid too much. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:10:34 pm »
http://collectdolls.about.com/od/antiquedolls1800s1920s/ig/Kewpie-Price-Guide/

Not sure how current these prices are but you can keep this on your desktop since you are interested in them !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:16:53 pm »
That's true Frogpatch but when someone asks "Whats it worth" we assume the money sneaks in somewhere !!  And if they are going to buy them they need to know what to pay !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:24:18 pm »
You are right on that Mart. I have asked about prices on here myself. I still wanted that old platform rocker that was in mint condition. Everyone here said buy. Wife said "Not on my watch."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »
Sure should have bought that one and slept in the doghouse a while !!  She would get over it eventually !!  Never find anything that good here !!

starbelly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:33:24 pm »
Yeah, like I said, I bought it because I wanted it. I have another one as well and really enjoy having the vintage ones. The link you posted from collectdolls.about. com was actually really helpful; the bisque 6" one they have on there looks near-identical to mine, although they don't state whether or not theirs is signed by O'Neill. Regardless, the average price is listed at $199-299.

I'd still like some help with the signature on the bottom though— that does look legitimate, right?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 03:05:35 am »
As the market stands today,, you overpaid !!  $100. is high retail price !! None of them are selling !! The value means nothing if no one is buying !! Etsy has the same 5" doll for $75.,, several on ebay with different positions and none are being bid on !!  There was a couple of similar dolls selling,, the unmarked dolls by different companies,, but they were in the $10. range !!

I wasn't asking whether or not I overpaid; don't be so frenetic. I want to know the list value (like according to a doll collector catalogue or antique catalogue). I didn't buy it because I want to sell it, I bought it because I love Kewpies and they are hard to come by, especially old ones, let alone signed old ones that are in this good of condition. I collect, I don't deal.
Oh my!!..its good to know i,m not the only Grump on here....on this side of the pond, kewpies, are a couple of £ each,....thats $3..to you,...they make good targets for my air rifle.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:06:03 am »
Can you take a close clear pic of the signature???  Hard to see in the other one !!  You need to check and see when that list was done !! Generally list values or book values are much higher than actual value !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:37 am »
Mart beat me to it!  Unfortunately I can't tell much from the picture you posted of the feet.  Can you please post another one?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

starbelly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:15:00 am »

Oh my!!..its good to know i,m not the only Grump on here....on this side of the pond, kewpies, are a couple of £ each,....thats $3..to you,...they make good targets for my air rifle.... ;D

Well, there are ones that are $3 here in the US, but they're new ones and are made out of rubber. I've seen brand new bisque ones by Jesco that are $100, so I still feel like having one this old in this good of condition was a nice find. I highly doubt you can get £3 Kewpies that are authentic vintage ones (circa 1920s). Maybe new rubber ones.

starbelly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:34:11 am »
Another one, this is probably the best photo I can get.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 04:26:36 pm »
When a .22 slug slams in a bisque doll....it shatters...pure and simple....it does not bounce off...the one i had ..shattered.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,