Author Topic: HELP identifying  (Read 3977 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: HELP identifying
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:24 am »
Problem with things like this is that they are done all over that area and sold as tourist items !! Its cottage industry there !! They do what sells and its not always what is typical for their culture !! 

Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 04:38:27 pm »
Looks like I may never know the artist .I do know it was 1960's. I know it will always be my favourite piece of art for it's unique subject and the reminder my best friend is alway's near  :)
Thank"s for the help

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 05:03:43 pm »
That is certainly how you should remember it, and always keep it with you !! Its a beautiful piece and we are sorry for your loss !! And in that context,, knowing the artist is really unimportant !! Knowing and remembering your friend is !!!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 06:27:20 pm »
Any chance your item is batik , Ma ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:20 pm »
Thanks so much Mart yes it is not important but like you I love researching and have plenty of time on my hands.My children asked me to let them know what is what so

i started putting all my "stuff" in a catalogue with what I know about each item.It's been fun.Then when i'm gone they can decide what to do with it. My daughter abso9lutely loves this piece so i know it will not be sold. i don't get attached to "stuff" like some collectors but this one is special.
Thanks for helping everyone
Not Batik fancypants but I have found an artist whose work resembles this one.When I find the link I shall post.

Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 08:19:16 pm »
http://www.ebay.it/itm/peinture-de-Ida-Bagus-peinture-bali-painting-from-Bali-balinean-art-/221174926631?pt=FR_JG_Art_Peintures&hash=item337f0d8d27
This is similar work.I can't translate the page.It's in french. Seem it says monkeys.Muted tones are there but am I guessing.Does it have a signature.Anyone translate French for me..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »
It says Ida Bagus is the artist s name !! Couldn`t see the whole pic but looks a different style to me !!
Hard to tell Fancy if this was done with a paint technique or batik !! Looks like vegetable dyes  but not sure of their method !! This and the link that was posted are given as contemporary art so fairly modern !!