Author Topic: hello from Scotland :) watercolour  (Read 3805 times)

1bear

hello from Scotland :) watercolour
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:37 am »
Hello

I would like to ask for help in order to establish the price and where to sell my paintings.
I`ve got in my collection few watercolours and one large oil painting.
I will uploud photos of each signle one of them in other topics.
One of them has really interesting story.
I bought it in charity shop in Edinburgh for 50 pounds, the signature nearly faded so it was impossible to read it,
I bought it because I like paintings of the ships,
but curious by mysterieous signature I started to seek similar signature as few letters are quite recognizable.
I discovered that I bought lovely watercolour signed by Alfred William  Finch belgian painter.
The signature shows name of the place, then A.W.Finch. I looked at the ships that he painted and I was able to confirm that it was
made by his hand. Additionally it was framed by boots in Edinburgh in 1928 and it is still in its original frames
I understand that the watercolours are not the most popular but it is absolutely stunning piece of art,
how much do you thin it is worth, do you know any collectors from Belgium who might be interested to buy it,
Thanks a lot
1bear

1bear

Re: hello from Scotland :) watercolour
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:26 am »
picture of the back

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:38:55 am »
Sorry but i don't see the similarities. Can you not take a better image of the signature ?

1bear

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »
these are some drawings made by A.W.Finch
which I use to comapre my watercolour

1bear

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:41 pm »
another picture of drawings :)
thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:21 pm »
We need the closeup of the signature on yours !! 

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:17:31 pm »
Well he often used oils and in a style similar to Monet.

That this is framed by Boots would also suggest a print but i have seen a few originals within their frames

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:25 pm »
Kinda curious to know if the white areas in the painting are gouache , 1bear , and if so does it fluoresce ?

I'm betting your wc could use a cleaning , esp if it is done by the old boy (& for top value) and a pane of UV glass to front it !

Looks like an O.K. scene of boats @ dock , but I'm guessin' you love it more than me (not so much a 'stunning' work , to these tired mariners' eyes) .

You're certainly correct about the W/C market being soft in many areas 'round the globe , but the tourist trade still draws em in for authentic stuff , around Seattle , & NYC , anyways !

Seen prints & origs in Boots labeled frames too , Ipcress .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

1bear

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:08:59 am »
as I said the signature was very difficuilt to read, but what I see is
in small letters name of the place followed by A W and from the rest I was able to construct Finch
what do you think guys

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:37:20 am »
as I said the signature was very difficuilt to read, but what I see is
in small letters name of the place followed by A W and from the rest I was able to construct Finch
what do you think guys
i,d have to agree with you on the A.W being there...then an F.....but thats where the similarities end....after the F i can see around another 7/8 letters....that are in- decipherable...i think you,ve convinced yourself that it is an A.W Finch...and no matter whats there,you are only seeing one thing....sometimes things are not always in black or white.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

1bear

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:16 am »
Hi
Hi
The thing is I managed to read the signature first, and by few letters I was able to establish few artists wich used
A W letters and than I checked their paintings and drawings, before that
I`ve never heard of Alferd W Finch so don`t understand why I would want to convinced myself
that this is his watercolour,
I compared signatures and hes A W are just the same as on my watercolour +  he had this manner of finishing Finch, letter h
as it was letter s,
secondly why someone woudl copy his style of painting in 1929 (framed and sealed), when he was still
alive and was not known nor popular especially in Brittain.
My investigation is based upon my research guys, not that I`m trying to convinced myself that
I`ve got his work :)
and the last thing is that Alfred Finch was doning millions of things, watercolours, pencil drawing, olis on canvas, and also he is known ceramist, (apart from the obvious and famous pointylism style) I was quite suprised myself how many diffrent things he did...

I will try to uploud more signature pictures,
:)
cheers

1bear

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:37 am »
signature

1bear

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:39 am »
no its not a print, I showe this watercolour to a friend who study art at Uni of Edinburgh (coleege of art) its 100% genuine watercolour

1bear

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:28:04 am »
additionally please forgive me for :(
my spelling (when I`m writting fast I always miss some letters) and
bad quality pictures-my camera is old,

anyways
lets assumet that it is A.w.Finch watercolour, any ideas about the value, not asking for the accurate price
just your idea, considering that this watercolour is on of the best examples and very few of watercolours made by his hand,
so its quite unique piece of his art whether you like ships or not :)
what do you think guys,
:)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:32:20 am »
There is a word to the left of the AW !! If this is a Finch there are way too many letters !! Looks to me that the word to the left is the first name, (cant read it) the middle initial is an A, and the last name is WH something !!  Could still be a good painting if not done by Finch !!  You really can`t compare a drawing to an oil in this instance !!