Author Topic: HELP PLEASE!!! President Lincoln Funeral Notice  (Read 2188 times)

ayden2008

• View Profile
HELP PLEASE!!! President Lincoln Funeral Notice
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:17:10 am »
I recently acquired a bunch of items from a WW1 Veteran that sadly passed away, and among them was this what looks to be notice from the town of Ilion, NY about President Lincoln's death and funeral.  It is dated in the bottom April 18th, 1865 and above it says "Courtesy Pioneer Historical Society"? I tried looking up that society and can't find anything about them. The paper feels thicker and more solid than regular paper and looks old. It has yellowing around the edges and the back.  The bankis just plain with no writing. Is this authentic? All the other items I got from him are all original. Help please, any input is great appreciated. Thanks!

corkysgold

• View Profile
Re: HELP PLEASE!!! President Lincoln Funeral Notice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »
I am no expert but that looks pretty new for being 150 years old. The Pioneer Historical Society sounds like a place that prints copies of historically significant events.

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »
Sorry my flash and "daylight" lighting in my house make it look whiter than it is, here's a picture without the flash,. In person its pretty Yellowed/Brown. And I looked at the print under a microscope and its not computer printed, its not pixelated. There's actual smears and you can see where the ink is harder pressed in some spots more than others. It looks to be pressed or stamped? And could it be that the company/society was the one who originally printed this back then? Because if it was a company that reprints we should be able to find something out about that company in the internet and I haven't on Bing, Google, ir Yahoo. There should be dune type of link or article somewhere in them. If anyone finds something in them please copy the link in a reply.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
This is most likely a reproduction,, !!  The Historical Society is a modern day venue to record any information of a given town or area !! There was no Pioneer Historical Society back then that I have been able to find !! The first reference to historical data was in 1892 and it was a book !! If you look you can find that every county can be found by googling the historical society of the county,, not the town !! Ilion is in Herkimer county !! This could have been done for a reenactment of some sort in that town !! I saw that the 150th anniversary of Lincolns death is coming up in 2015,, it is possible that something was done for the 100th anniversary and these were done for that purpose !! 50 years ago they would have used old style printing methods !!  No ink jet printing then !!  You can give the Herkimer County Historical Society a call and ask them !! They have a website !!

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:22:31 pm »
Thanks Mart, i Already did lol. I found that museum online when I was googling Ilion. I sent them pictures after speaking with them and now they want me to send it to them for "evaluation".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:30 pm »
Let us know what they say !!

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
I certainly will.  Should be around a week or so.  Thanks again!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:01:56 pm »
Will be interesting to find out!!!!  Anxiously awaiting.......
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!