Author Topic: Help with brass art piece, maybe Arabic or Persian ?  (Read 961 times)

needhelp2

• View Profile
Help with brass art piece, maybe Arabic or Persian ?
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:45:07 pm »
Hi, first post, and just started getting into antiques a few months ago :) Hopefully someone can help ...

I have an older friend (70's) whose mother had this interesting piece of brass art she decided to have framed. Apparently she came across it in the 1960's, took it to have it framed, and that's that. He's been told it's origins are Arabic, Moorish, Russian ... looking at it I'm reminded of Scheherazade actually. There appears to be a signature on the bottom of it, but I can't tell what language it is ... Farsi ? Arabic ? Horrid English ? I simply don't know.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what this piece is supposed to be representing, perhaps the language the stamp is in, what "era" it might originate from, so on and so forth. It is about 26-30 inches I'm guessing in height. Also, it's hard to see, but there are tiny designs all over the empty space of it (you can see a bit of this near the blow up of the signature). I should have snapped a pic of the designs when I had a chance, but I didn't think of it at the time. Any help on this piece, dating it, nailing down it's style, theme, whatever ... identifying the language and artist ... would rock !

Please note that I adjusted the contrast on this signature in order to make it stand out, this piece is not this color lol --

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:50:41 pm by needhelp2 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help with brass art piece, maybe Arabic or Persian ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:51:26 pm »
It feels Russian to me,,does not look Arabic,, but don`t put money on that !!  KC knows Russian art and culture !! Let her look at it !! She might be able to read the sig if so !!