Author Topic: Old wooden dentists spittoon.  (Read 5120 times)

Jellytip

• View Profile
Old wooden dentists spittoon.
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
This was a family members possibly in the second half of the 19th c. He was a dentist/entrepreneur/traveller and we have so many amazing things left from him. We were told this was his spittoon at work, and that the stand was added at an unknown date. I would love to know what parts were added when, if we have the age right, and if it actually a spittoon as I cannot find anything like it!

Some of the photos have unfortunately distorted, but it stands about 80cm high and the lid is about 40cm across.

All four sides are the same

The circle on the lid appears to have been cut completely out, but is stuck back in place now.

The floor of the inside isn't attached.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Old wooden dentists spittoon.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:27:48 am »
Wow beautiful! I'm guessing the spitton itself is missing???
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Jellytip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:25 am »
I guess so too, the family refers to it as the spittoon and have not seen an insert. I'd just love to see another one even slightly similar!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:45:56 am »
This is a nice piece, Jellytip, but it has me scratching my head.
I would have thought that a spittoon used by a dentist, even back during the infancy of dentistry, would have been something that could easily have been sluiced, a small hand-held pot would have done the trick.
The second thing that I find confusing, is why the lid is not hinged?
Any thoughts?

Jellytip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:44:50 am »
I've just asked for more details, all I could get was that he took his dental practice around on a horse and cart, and the current location of the bowl that sat in the lid is unknown.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 03:51:03 am »
Well found, Bigwull!

Well, Jellytip, yours seems to be a Rolls-Royce example by comparison!

I've had an idea as to why it wasn't hinged, but I'm not sure about the strength of the argument, so best leave it where it is!

Jellytip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:44 am »

I've had an idea as to why it wasn't hinged, but I'm not sure about the strength of the argument, so best leave it where it is!

I do love a good theory, feel free to share!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 04:28:05 am »

I do love a good theory, feel free to share!

I suppose if you're going to be afraid of being shot down, you should never open your mouth ... OK, here goes.

Looking at the style of the lid it would not lend itself to completely folding back (by 270 degrees) (that has only been basically thought through). Having a lid that sat upright might not be a good idea in that sort of environment; it would also require some sort of support, which would be an inconvenience, otherwise there's be too much strain on the hinges.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:31:34 am »
A cabinet to hold a spitoon maybe. I'd say it's ca. 1870 and could be worth a tidy sum.

I've never seen anything like it.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »
How large is this cabinet ??  Who put the piece on the bottom of the lid ??  The color matches the lid itself so was it put on when it was made ??  Something isn`t right about the spitoon theory
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:55:59 pm by mart »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 12:51:47 pm »
there you go again..opening your mouth before engaging the gears.....just as i do frequently.... ;D...check out the first post by the topic provider and you will see that they have given the sizes..... so there..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:00:09 pm »
there you go again..opening your mouth before engaging the gears.....just as i do frequently.... ;D...check out the first post by the topic provider and you will see that they have given the sizes..... so there..... ;D

Where have you been ?? Don`t you ever open your mail ??   Yes they did, but as I can`t convert centimeters to feet and inches without leaving here I figured someone would tell me !! 

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 01:03:54 pm »

Where have you been ?? Don`t you ever open your mail ??   Yes they did, but as I can`t convert centimeters to feet and inches without leaving here I figured someone would tell me !! 

Roughly 30" x 15"   or thereabouts   ;)