Author Topic: What is this? Tales should guess in a flash!  (Read 4567 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
What is this? Tales should guess in a flash!
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:32:30 am »
I came across one of these in an Auction room a few weeks back and could not for the life of me work out what it was for, without looking in the catalogue, and even then I had no idea that they had been used for that purpose. The one up for auction was prettier than the one in this photo (courtesy of Google Images) and the final hammer price was £105 + fees (so if you see one going cheap you might want to grab it ....)

Melodie

• View Profile
Re: What is this? Tales should guess in a flash!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:57:56 am »
I know but costume and textiles are my bag  ;)

I won't spoil the fun for anyone else who wants to guess.

Lovely thing Mario  :)
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:11:22 am »
It's a ladies skirt lifter.........that is, it was used by ladies to hold up the hem of their skirt, NOT by the gentlemen who wished to peak under them   :D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:22:22 am »
It's a ladies skirt lifter.........that is, it was used by ladies to hold up the hem of their skirt, NOT by the gentlemen who wished to peak under them   :D

Well done Sapphire ....  But I really thought it was for the latter!!  I'll cancel my Ebay bid in that case   ;)

They certainly came in some wonderful designs!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:03 am »

Well done Sapphire ....  But I really thought it was for the latter!!  I'll cancel my Ebay bid in that case   ;)

I only remembered that as I came across one in a picture I wanted to show tales some time ago........showing a ladies leg holster. With all the length and layers they really needed that extra 'hand' to access those holsters back then  ;)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:38 am »

Very sporting of you Melodie!

When I think of all the costume dramas I've been exposed to over the years (and that is quite a substantial number ... of both) I don't think that I've ever seen one provided courtesy of the props department. I shall now become one of those bores, whenever I see, on screen, a refined lady trudging through the mud I'll be be crying out ... 'Where's her skirt lifter????'

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 05:30:54 am »

I only remembered that as I came across one in a picture I wanted to show tales some time ago........showing a ladies leg holster. With all the length and layers they really needed that extra 'hand' to access those holsters back then  ;)

So it was never really a case of being fast on the drawer?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 05:57:30 am »

Damn, there went a perfectly good mouthful of pepsi!!  >:(

:D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:50:18 am »
LOL !!  Well I wouldn`t have guessed !!   A bit before my time !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »
We have actually had one posted on here a LONG time ago.  Have seen them in the past but they are getting fewer and far between seeing anymore.  Most people don't know what they are and toss them!  :'(

This is a rather ornate one with the shell on it!  NICE FIND!!!  Actually a fabulous find!  So many are plain and people think they are a unexplainable tool of sorts!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »

Very sporting of you Melodie!

When I think of all the costume dramas I've been exposed to over the years (and that is quite a substantial number ... of both) I don't think that I've ever seen one provided courtesy of the props department. I shall now become one of those bores, whenever I see, on screen, a refined lady trudging through the mud I'll be be crying out ... 'Where's her skirt lifter????'
better a skirt lifter...than a shirt lifter..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:41 pm »
Great story Tales. My brother in law has an iron business that's been around since the 1920's. They bought out "Yellen" not to long ago. When I first met my husband he worked in a forge. That job will definitely kill you. The graphite goes right through your clothes. There's not to many iron companies left.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »

Damn, there went a perfectly good mouthful of pepsi!!  >:(

:D
you just don,t learn..do ya....methinks your...suffering from....something ..i,ve got....."old dog...or in your case....*****.new tricks ..syndrome.....mums the word....when reading with yer gob full of gas.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:24 pm »
This is a rather ornate one with the shell on it!  NICE FIND!!!  Actually a fabulous find!  So many are plain and people think they are a unexplainable tool of sorts!
[/quote]

Unfortunately I don't own this ... it's an image courtesy of Google Images.
The one that I saw at the Auction was much nicer than the one in the picture, and once I discovered what it was I thought it might be a nice Lot to bid on (thinking maybe £20 - £25 max), bidding started at £55 with commission bids !!! Hammer price was £105 + 20% !!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:50:49 am by mariok54 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 01:08:52 pm »
I'm arriving late!!  ;D I would love to have one of these someday, but it's not one of those things that you have to have to do your costuming right, so I haven't pursued them. Recently someone suggested I should add one to the 1883 riding habit.
Antiqueaholic in recovery