Author Topic: What is this? Tales should guess in a flash!  (Read 4561 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: What is this? Tales should guess in a flash!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:44 pm »
Hi tales,

I've found one in a job lot at a local auction with a very low estimate. If it gets missed it might go cheap, so I'm going to keep an eye on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 03:19:34 pm »
 ;D I will have my fingers and toes crossed!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 12:48:07 am »
Ooohhhh...let us know!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 02:38:06 am »
Ooohhhh...let us know!!!

Didn't get it, and it was really annoying (well, mildly annoying). I'm back at work after the Summer break and logged on to the Auction site to bid on that Lot and a couple of others, but over the summer they tightened up on the IT system somehow and although I could Log into the Live Auction it did not 'follow' the auction (if it was on Lot 76 with a Room bid of £85, it remained on that) and this was using my own laptop. I realised when I was going home that if I went to the edge of the car park and away from the hot spot, then it would work!!  But I can't be disappearing like that!!!

I know that I could have done it, but one thing I try not to do anymore, if I can help it, is to leave a commission bid. When bidding live, either on-line or at the actual Auction Rooms, I've won many a Lot at well below the Lower estimate. Whenever I've left a commission bid I've never for a long time won a Lot for less than the lower estimate, frequently it's been bang on the lower estimate. This is despite the fact that the Auction Houses insist that they will attempt to buy the item for you at the lowest possible price. What I've noticed is that many of the on-line commission forms only have a single figure, your maximum bid, whereas the 'old' paper commission slips gave you the opportunity to state a 'starting bid' and your 'maximum bid' including +1 (if your max bid is £60, but because of the the sequence of the bidding the auctioneer took a bid of £60 from another bidder, then they would bid once more on your behalf at £65). With this old system, irrespective of the fact that the estimate might have been say £40 - £60, if your lowest commission bid was £20 and max £65, then the Porter would bid £20 on your behalf, and you could be lucky!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 09:33:56 am »
Aw darn! Not worth getting into trouble at work over though!
Antiqueaholic in recovery