Author Topic: Old wooden signs  (Read 26593 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Old wooden signs
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »
I'm going to sit this one out without a hands on!

Back in the mid 1900's in Texas there was a big importer that brought in LOTS of signs similar to these that were repros and sold for a decent price in the Dallas/FW and Houston areas.  They were 3D like the ones with the people. 

I can't say as the one with all the intricate work on it I have seen any like it.

They are nice!

Did you say where you are located?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Petesy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »
Hi KC, Im from Glasgow, Scotland

I sent an email to Sotheby's (Edinburgh office) today, so Im curious to see what info they can give and hopefully get a rough guide as to the value of them, who knows maybe im sitting on a wee winner and I can completely redesign and rebuild my man cave!

I will post If i get any reply's back.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:53 pm »
Are you a Blue nose Weegie...or a Bhoy..... ;D...oh....an welcome.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Petesy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »
Cheers Bigwull,Haha, who would support one of those magnets of corruption?  ;D Claret and Amber run through these vain's!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 12:54:46 am »
Hi KC, Im from Glasgow, Scotland

I sent an email to Sotheby's (Edinburgh office) today, so Im curious to see what info they can give and hopefully get a rough guide as to the value of them, who knows maybe im sitting on a wee winner and I can completely redesign and rebuild my man cave!

I will post If i get any reply's back.

I hope that Sotherby's come back with a positive response, but don't be dispirited if you get a reply saying that it is not the sort of item that they normally deal with (usually suggesting that they don't think that it'll achieve a high enough hammer price to make it worth their while). I've had the same experience with them on two occasions (one I think was the subject of a post a couple of years back) ... in both cases I went to local Auction Houses and lets just say I was very pleasantly surprised with the final hammer price (would have been well worth Sotherby's time) and the commission was 5% less that what I'd have paid Sotherby's. With so many Auction Houses having their catalogues on-line, together with live on-line bidding  (see sites like http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues ) then your pieces are seen Worldwide!

If you're in Glasgow then why not take one or two along to one of the big auction houses there, they all have free appraisal days; Great Western Auctions are on Dumbarton Road, for example.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 08:35:53 am »
Excellent idea !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 09:19:00 am »
And Great Western are very high profile as I believe that they have Anita Manning (or used to) as an auctioneer

Petesy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2013, 03:54:09 pm »
Hi Guys,

I received an email from a helpful chap named Jim, so you were correct in saying the signs are not of great age.

he wrote:

Dave,

A couple of these have appeared recently.  They have no historic value but as you say they are quite decorative and ideal for pubs restaurants etc.

As far as the sign is concerned the style depicts a train from the 1830's.  It is not strictly accurate but it gives a fair impression.  The South Eastern and Chatham Railway was not formed until 1899.

The red (purple lake) colour of the background is fairly close to the colour of carriages on the SECR and the gold or yellow lettering is in a 19th century style.  I have attached part of a genuine sign from the late 19th century so you can compare the style.

I don't know when they were made or by whom but they are fairly modern. If you find out I would be interested to know.  You say you found 5 signs.  Were they all identical? Different railways perhaps?

IF you found the right outlet I would think the sign should fetch £200+ as a decorative piece.  It has size on its side!

So a nice bit of extra info on the train one, I can take to the local appraiser in Glasgow, I still don't know what i want to do with them yet. sell and go hunting for the next piece or enjoy them for a bit longer... 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
Did you show him the ale signs ??  Or just the railway sign ??

Petesy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »
Hi mart, I only sent him the train one via email, but i did however give him the link to this forum so he will perhaps give it a read and see the other ones.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 04:22:35 pm »
I was almost positive they were not that old,, but since I found so little,, almost nothing about the ale signs or the ale itself,, was curious about them !! Maybe he will take a look !!  I think they would do well here in the states !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2013, 04:45:31 pm »
almost anything does well in the States....from what i,ve seen.....more money than sense.... ;D...now where did i put my coat....

Petesy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2013, 04:51:16 pm »
Yea from what iv heard/seen they would be very well suited to state side, their seems to be a huge market over the pond, I think unfortunately there is not as large a market in the UK but again I may be wrong and they would could do well.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2013, 05:04:16 pm »
claret & amber....Mmm...is that a posh name for...yellow an reed....has tae be either up Maryhill way.wi the Jags......or doon wi the Steelmen... ;D....

Petesy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
aye the steelmen all the way! been glued to sky sports news all day today, this early close transfer window in Scotland is a bit bizarre! & although I did live in Maryhill for a year I moved quick sharp back home to Uddingston, I prefer walking down the street and people saying hello rather than walking down the street and getting a Glasgow kiss  ;D