Author Topic: Can someone identify this bird  (Read 9092 times)

capot1948

• View Profile
Re: Can someone identify this bird
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:39 am »
You're right, and I know you weren't being rude, I'd just gotten up and was still on my first cup of coffee so I was a little 'touchy'. After a couple of cups of coffee I do see your point and unless I do find a Wilcox catalog with that pattern in it I'll never know.

Chris

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 10:34:41 am »
Just natural curiosity when something doesn`t fit !!  I have spent days looking for stuff like that !!  Drives me nuts when I can`t find something !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
Good Question Ipcress! And I agree it wasn't being rude.  We al have different motives for trying to find out information about our items.

capot1948, I have found a few other Wilcox items that are being identified as Herons as well.  It does go along with the time period and what was popular at the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Wilcox-Silverplate-Co-Quadruple-Silver-Plate-Baby-Cup-1346-Heron-Birds-/181186962991?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item2a2f95a62f

http://www.amazon.com/Caddy-Wilcox-Silver-Plate-Silverplate/dp/B002ROHHE4

A good article for you to ponder - do bleieve yours is from the early to mid 1900's
ww.ehow.com/how_4729109_recognize-era-antique-silver-plate.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »
Its always possible that the artist just didn`t know about the subject bird !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »
KC, that link you sent me for the baby cup is exactly the same bird. In the 3rd photo showing a closeup is the same one on my set. Looks like question solved. It's a Heron. Thanks to all who helped me on this and I do apologize if I sounded rude this morning.

Chris

Ipcress

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 03:51:30 pm »
That's someone on Ebay calling them heron birds. There are people on ebay crazy enough to call a dog a giraffe.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
Chris that's the joy of our society and only having typed words!  Things can come off harsh/rude when they are meant to be...and other times when they are meant to be they don't!  LOLOL

Glad could be of help! I think it is supposed to be a crane (good luck symbol) but it is often called a Heron!  Whatever...it appears to be a bird!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:56 pm »
How true KC. Yes, it's a bird, don't know why I became obsessed with it. Maybe out of boredom who knows. Anyway, for those of you who live in Texas we went to Salado today to the Salado Creek Antiques store. My gosh, wish we had a huge house they have so much beautiful antique furniture there and of course other antiques as well. We actually did find a few things that fit into our budget though and the folks there are so nice and friendly and knowledgeable.

Chris

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
You will have to post some pics of your finds !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 08:39:07 pm »
I'll do that Mart, my wife got too much sun or something today and got a splitting headache so nothing has been unwrapped yet. I'll post photos tomorrow.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »
Excellent !!  Will look for them !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 09:33:58 pm »
I'm curious as to what it is on this set. I'll just let it go then and end the thread.

don,t throw all yer toys out of the pram.....i did it last week....and am buggered if i can find them all.... :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:25 pm »
Love going to Salado.  Haven't been there awhile...since my brother is no longer at Fort Hood we don't go that way as often.  My family always loved to eat at the Stagecoach Inn!  Jealous!!!!!

Can't wait to see your finds!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 08:57:25 am »
Love going to Salado.  Haven't been there awhile...since my brother is no longer at Fort Hood we don't go that way as often.  My family always loved to eat at the Stagecoach Inn!  Jealous!!!!!

Can't wait to see your finds!

If you go through Clifton to get there,, my brother has a BBQ restaurant if you like that kind of Texas cuisine !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 10:40:05 am »
Oohhhh...would love to know and go there!!!!  That would be so weird to go and meet him but have never met you!  LOLOL